first brew question. temp and aging.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc5md

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have had my beer in the fermenter for 9days now. Because of a screw-up, I pitched the yeast at 78-79 degrees, but the fermenter was immediately moved to my basement which was about 60 degrees. It bubbled wonderfully for 3-4days and tapered off. It suddenly has gotten colder over the past 2-3 days and I thought it might be worth actually checking the ambient temp of the basement. Water in a cup left over night is at 52 degrees.
My plan was to not put it into a secondary, but leave it in the fermenter for 3weeks. Is this temp to cold to have it really do anything. Should I just take my gravity readings now and put it into my keg? Should I move it upstairs to 68-70degree house and leave it for 3weeks before kegging?
Thanks!

Move it upstairs to 68-70. 52 is too cold to be aging, you want the yeast still active to finish doing their thing...52 will just put them to sleep.

3-4 days of active fermentation is somewhat normal, so it might be temp related. After that, the yeasties still do things, just not as crazy like and it's not as visible.

Also remember, fermentation is an exothermic reaction (gives off heat), so the wort/beer is typically warmer than ambient. I would suggest one of those sticky fermometers...not the most accurate thing in the world, but it's better than nothing/guessing. I find that I'm usually between 2-6 degrees higher than ambient temps.

When it gets that cold, it definitely can affect the yeast's ability to do their work...but that often depends on the strain of yeast. (Some do all right in cooler temps, even ale yeasts.) It probably would benefit from being moved to a slightly warmer location....perhaps not to 70 degrees, but maybe a chilly bathroom or other room with an exterior wall? You may want to try lagering in the winter, or at least use ale yeast that is known to perform OK in the 50's on future batches.

I'm assuming you've got an ale, or else it's at a great temperature already. Move it upstairs, check for activity over the next few days, then you can probably start taking SG readings. RDWHAHB. :mug:

Agreed, move it upstairs to finish fermenting. Once it is done fermenting, bottle it. Leave it upstairs for two weeks, then the fridge for 1 week then back the the basement for aging. After it comes out of the fridge it is ready to drink. Depending on the type of beer it might benefit for aging cold. What type of beer is this?

OK, thanks for the fast replies!
The brew is the brickwarmer holiday ale from NB.
I just brought it up from the basement as carefully as I could. It is in my dining room now. should warm up over the next couple days.
I will be putting this in a keg. How long do you think I should keep it in the primary before kegging.
Oh, and I am relaxing with a homebrew. A Belgian Dubbel. Mmmm do I love Belgian beers!
:mug:

Hi everyone... an update.. I moved the beer up as above. It has been in my dining room.
I opened it today. I looked like most of the pictures I've seen. Nothing concerning.
I took a gravity reading and got 1.019 I will check in a couple days and see where if it is stable. What I don't know is what it 'should' be. I just wondered how close I'd be.
Any thoughts? The kit is the NB Brickwarmer ale. The OG per recipe is 1.062 but no final is listed.
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back