To stir or not to stir...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N3WWN

Reaction score
...that is the question!

I'm working on some mead and some cider, and since I'm making more cider than mead, I'm starting this thread here. :p

Some articles/books/magazines I've read tell you to agitage the fermenting must/wort every few days to resuspend the yeast from the yeast bed into the solution.

When I did this with the cider, LOTS of CO2 was released (just like agitating a carbonated beverage, which makes sense) but I'm wondering if I should or should not be doing this with my ciders and meads.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions or flames regarding this practice?

Thanks!

-Rich

I wouldn't bother with ciders, unless you are adding sugar to boost the ABV. Meads take so long to ferment, re-suspending the yeast is a good idea. You don't have though.

Thanks, david_42! :rockin:

You mention adding sugar to increase the ABV...

I suppose this means that the specific gravity of the wort/must would hint towards if you should agitate the yeast. Do you have a suggestion of what the SG might be for agitation to be beneficial? 1.100 and up?

I'm guessing at 1.100 since most cider recipes that I've seen look for an OG of 1.080 or less, whereas mead recipies usually start at 1.120.

-Rich

Back