first cask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huck-E-bear

Reaction score
getting ready to cask my IPA and let it sit for a few months. should i prime with 4.5 oz priming sugar or 5 oz. and any other tips. is it normal to dry hop it in there too?

For my Pin Cask I usually prime it with 5 ounces. I would worry about dry hopping it for that long as you will start to get grassy flavors from having the hops in contact with the beer for that long. If I dry hop a cask I usually consume it around the 3 week period.

Chromados

i ended up dry hopping it before i got your post about the grassy flavors. so lets hope that grassy flavors is what i secretly wanted.... bwahahahaha well anyways thanks for the help.

What temp do you let them sit at? My basement is around 58 to 60. I think it may be too cold?

I can't wait to get some bungs and set up for serving. My wife will really give me a strange look. Once I throw my first batch in a cask there will be a party!

Speaking of anyone know where to get a beer engine that doesn't cost $300? I might just settle and do the RV thing sometime next month until I can save up cash for a proper engine.

For my Pin Cask I usually prime it with 5 ounces. I would worry about dry hopping it for that long as you will start to get grassy flavors from having the hops in contact with the beer for that long. If I dry hop a cask I usually consume it around the 3 week period.

Chromados

I don't know if it's common practice but I know a local brew pub that dry hops with different hops in the cask. They drop the hops in fill it, bung it up and let it sit until it's on tap. I haven't really tasted grassy flavors.

Well a few days at proper temp and the mini casks are sure carbing now!!!! In the summer the basement is a much better idea!

Back