To much room in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apparatus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I transfered a spiced wheat in to secondary today. I encountered a problem and lost about 1/2 gal of beer in process. I now have about 4 1/2 gallons in a 6 1/2 gallon secondary.

Is this too much head room for oxygen?
Should I just go ahead and bottle now being it has already reached final gravity reading?
What would be the negative effect if left in the secondary with this much empty space?

The wheat should outgas enough to fill the head space with CO2, toss in 1/4 cup of corn sugar if you want to play it extra safe. On the other hand, cloudiness in wheats isn't a problem, so bottling now is a real choice.

You were going to have 1 1/2 gal of extra deadspace to begin with. 1/2 more wont make or break you. What you probably should be asking is whether or not you should be using a 6 1/2 carboy as a secondary... usually a secondary is 5...

david_42 said:
The wheat should outgas enough to fill the head space with CO2, toss in 1/4 cup of corn sugar if you want to play it extra safe. On the other hand, cloudiness in wheats isn't a problem, so bottling now is a real choice.

I agree with the suspended CO2 filling up the head space and it not being a problem to have some head space. But just to be extra sure I use one of those small CO2 injecters to give a squirt of CO2. But I'm not anal about it if I forget.

Thanks for all the responses. I decided I am going to just go ahead and bottle.
Appreciate all of the help I get here.

Back