Introducing myself

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crunchy

Reaction score
Hi there.

I posted a question last night (that was handily answered) and wanted to post my introduction.

I've liked drinking my whole life, but just a few days ago decided to try making a beverage. Apfelwein looked pretty straightforward and a good, simple choice for getting started.

I'd like to try making beer sometime, but inasmuch as I like only a couple really specific beers, I just don't know - I'll have to do a bit of reading and study before I attack that.

I'm forty-one, married for about twenty years, have no kids, but a bunch of cats and dogs and fish.

I'm a civil servant and spend my days writing software. I used to be in private industry, but living in hotels in strange cities and rarely seeing my wife got old.

My wife chairs the local chapter of a regional non-profit that works with abused and neglected animals.

I like to spend my free time working in the yard or reading.

Lastly, for music, I like Skynyrd, Black Sabbath, Christy Moore, Steve Earle, and Bad Religion, among others.

Thanks for providing this resource and community.

Welcome to HBT! One thing you'll notice if you do decided to brew beer is that your palate will definitely expand. What are those specific beers you do enjoy?

Thanks.

What are those specific beers you do enjoy?

I like the lighter tasting India Pale Ales that I've had, and I like Rolling Rock and Rolling Rock Light (my affinity for which has many times been mocked by beer guys, but I'm old enough now that I don't care much whether I'm cool or not. ;) )

I just don't care for really strong tasting beers. I enjoy them more for refreshment when I'm outside working in the yard, and have found that lighter beers hit the spot more in that situation.

read...read...read. this site is awesome. you will find everything from the mr. beer maker (2 gallon batch) to some awsome brew rigs. What I will tell you is that this is an great hobby if you like beer. The do it yourself projects alone can keep you busy for years...

At the end of the day, I am in my 30's, a father of 2, and my only regret is not starting sooner...There is nothing like having a perfect homebrew on tap....and i have to say, I enjoy making it as much as drinking it...:mug:

cheers :)

Crunchy, from what you posted about yourself and your tastes, I'm going to recommend you try the recipe for EdWort's Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale, found in the recipe database in the category of American Ale. I made some, and it is terrific. It is the third EdWort recipe I tried, including the Apfelwein: all are easy to make and produce first-rate brews.

Welcome to the addiction!

I'm going to recommend you try the recipe for EdWort's Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Thanks for the tip and the welcome.

I'm going to check it out and then go back and find out what malts are, what sparging is, what an infusion mash is, &c. I'm entirely ignorant about all things beer, except that I love to drink it.

Welcome! :mug:

If you choose to make beer, I would recommend starting with extract brewing (with steeping grains). It requires a lot less equiment and time and still makes great beer. Here are a few links which should help you get started:

http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/beginner-extract-brewing-howto-99139/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/vs-pro-con-analysis-109318/

Starter kit with everything you need to begin making extract batches (aside from ingredients and bottles)- http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_52&products_id=11356

Hope this helps!

Bopper has the right idea. Buy a kit at the local homebrew store and give it a try. Then, when you are ready to do a partial mash, which I did before I went the all-grain route, try the recipe for Haus Pale Ale.

Latest posts

Back