I want to make this IPA, couple questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krausenmustache

Reaction score
Rick's Brute IPA .:. BeerRecipes.org

Beer Style: India Pale Ale
Recipe Type: all-grain
Description:
This IPA has a vibrant reddish-orange color, holds a nice head, and displays an incredible hoppy aroma. After merely one sip of this beauty, the hop flavor will stick to the back of your tongue for hours. This recipe is for 5 gallons.
Ingredients:
GRAIN BILL:
14 lbs. -- Pale 2-row malt
1 lb. -- Caramel malt (60L)
1 lb. -- Caramel malt (90L)
1 lb. -- Carapils
HOPS SCHEDULE:
2 oz. -- Columbus hops (60 min.)
1 oz. -- Centennial (30 min.)
1 oz. -- Centennial (10 min.)
1 oz. -- Centennial (1 min.)
1 oz. -- Centennial (dry hop)
Ferment with Wyeast #1056.

OG: 1.065 FG: 1.012
Primary Ferment: 2 to 3 days.
Secondary Ferment: 3 weeks.
Procedure:
Mash grains at 150F to 152F for 60 min. Sparge with 168F water. Dry hop with 1 oz. Centennial in secondary fermentor.
Submitted by: Rick Piccirilli

He lists the OG at 1.065, but when I plug into beersmith I get an OG of like 1.085 and thats with an eff of only 70% (not to mention common sense that 17# of grain will yield more than 1.065)

Is this recipe just far out of whack, or does it look good and the OG he lists just a typo?

OG has got to be a typo. That or the 14# is a typo. Also, a lb. each of 60L, 90L, and dextrine seems way over the top to me. I would cut each of those by 1/2 or eliminate of the of crystals completely.

Ya I would use a .5 pounds of those specialty malts. 14 pounds of 2 row is a lot for a 5 gallon batch as well. I usually use 10 or 11.

I thought it seemed like alot. I'll probably cut the pale to 11-12# and half each of the specialties. I'd like to shoot for an OG of about 1.070-1.075.

Back