Too Much Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benl88

Reaction score
Hi,

First post and shame its due to a stupid mistake:)

Rather than adding 23L (5 Gallons) to my Woodfordes Great Eastern Ale kit i have added 25L (5.5 Gallons).

The beer has already started fermenting as i only realised after i added the yeast. How badly will this batch be affected? and is there anything that can be done?? Adding additional Malt Extract etc?.

One thing i will say is ive wont be brewing late at night again as concentration levels are low :)

Sounds like you will be getting more beer than you were planning on:D

I have gone over my target finished wort a few times before and the beer still turned out tasty! Recently I tried to help my sis with a yard sale and brew an extract Irish Red in the same morning. With all the rushing around, I didn't add enough fermentables and used too much water. The beer turned out being very light in taste, and of course lower in ABV (3.1%). It was still great! My mess-up was bigger than just ending up with .5 gal more volume. Your beer will still turn out great!

You likely won't notice much of a taste difference, and you'll be able to drink a few more of them before getting loaded. Sounds pretty good to me!

I usually add .25 gallons more to account for the loss I'll take with the trub on the bottom when I secondary, and never have a problem. End up usually hitting my 55 bottle mark spot-on, +/- a few bottles.

I just had about the same overrun on a robust porter. It tastes great, probably just not as robust. Brew on!

Back