Hemp Seed Haze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigB

Reaction score
A couple months back I brewed a Hemp ale. The base recipe is an American Pale Ale that I have made numerous times and always ends up crystal clear. The only changes I made for this recipe was the addition of 6 oz of roasted hemp seeds that were crushed and added to the mash. I also used columbus hops for bittering instead of Cascade and dry hopped with Horizon instead of Cascade. At any rate, this beer remains super cloudy despite being in primary for 3 weeks then lagered for 5 weeks. Also, the head retention is very strong and sticks to the side of the glass (I left a glass out over night once and the foam dried in place with the bubbles mostly intact). Yeast was US-05 for those that are curious.

Considering the one major variable being the hemp seeds, my question for all of you is: Do you guys think that maybe the hemp seeds have an unusual amount of protein content that is causing the haze and the sticky foam? Or, am I missing something?

I'm thinking there is a lot of oily proteins in the hemp seeds. That would explain both things I believe.

Thanks for the input guys! I just read that article and it seems to confirm the theory as apparently hemp seeds are loaded with oil and protein.

Back