Father in law wants me to help him buy his first EVER computer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnonyBrew

Who rated my beer?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not looking forward to this, but I've been asked to help the FIL buy a laptop. He's 67 and never used a computer before. I think all he wants it for is email, viewing family picture CDs, and maybe play a DVD movie.

He's been showing me ads for extremely cheap laptop systems in the $250-300 range. I haven't kept up on the technology recently so I'm not sure what level of system he'll need so he won't get something too low end that won't play DVDs without being all choppy.

Any suggestions on relatively inexpensive laptop models that don't have a bunch of bells & whistles he'll never use that would have enough memory/cpu speed to play a standard DVD?

If he is just a basic user (single app, email, web surfing, music/dvds) then a netbook would probably be plenty for him (those 250 dollar laptops). I would google around for netbooks and read up on some hands on reviews or head to head type articles to see which one would suit his needs best and has the best track record.

If he is just a basic user (single app, email, web surfing, music/dvds) then a netbook would probably be plenty for him (those 250 dollar laptops). I would google around for netbooks and read up on some hands on reviews or head to head type articles to see which one would suit his needs best and has the best track record.

But most netbooks don't have dvd players, that's one of the things eliminated to cut size and cost. I'm looking at netbooks now, because I don't need/want a dvd drive, and just want to surf the web with it.

Soper, if he didn't want a dvd player any of those under 300 net/notebooks would be great. But I think you're going to have to go into the 4-600 range for a machine with a cd/dvd drive.

I have a free Dell Mini 10 I got with a cell phone contract. It's pretty low-end and it does everything I could ask of it and more. That is, except for play DVDs. It doesn't bother me because most everything I own is digital. But for FIL, get a cheap laptop by a reputable manufacturer and you should be golden, in my non-expert opinion.

There are a couple but I didn't realize until I looked them up that they are priced up there with cheap laptops. There are some key factors though you need to consider before picking a laptop/netbook...

What features are important (IE: DVD, BlueTooth, wifi, etc)?
What kind of battery life do you expect/need?
How large a screen will he need/want?
How portable/lite does it need to be?
Are they a power user (multiple apps open, video processing, gaming, etc)?
Will they need a large drive for media files and the like?

Those will really narrow down your choices and help you in your search for one that fits all of their needs without ending up with something that doesn't do what they want or ends up being too much for them. Those aren't so much questions to answer here as to use as a basis for your search though I imagine if you list some of your preferences here you'll probably get some good suggestions.

There are a couple but I didn't realize until I looked them up that they are priced up there with cheap laptops. There are some key factors though you need to consider before picking a laptop/netbook...

What features are important (IE: DVD, BlueTooth, wifi, etc)?
What kind of battery life do you expect/need?
How large a screen will he need/want?
How portable/lite does it need to be?
Are they a power user (multiple apps open, video processing, gaming, etc)?
Will they need a large drive for media files and the like?

Those will really narrow down your choices and help you in your search for one that fits all of their needs without ending up with something that doesn't do what they want or ends up being too much for them. Those aren't so much questions to answer here as to use as a basis for your search though I imagine if you list some of your preferences here you'll probably get some good suggestions.

I'd say important features are DVD, Wifi. I doubt he'll need much for HD so anything over like 200Gb would probably be fine.

Battery power & mobility are not very important. He'll probably have it sitting on a desk 95% of the time and only take it somewhere once in awhile. He might use it throughout the house with wifi.

Not a power user at all.

Is he really going to use it as a laptop? (Is he going to be moving it around?)

For a laptop, he won't need the processing speed or memory most of us would need. Unless he has a ton of digital pics, most PCs start with 320 GB memory, which I never have come close to using.

This is a decent one for the money. Bad reviews on the keyboard, but I'm also guessing your FIL isn't typing away like mad so that shouldn't be an issue.

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

Does he really *need* a laptop? If this is his first computer, it's not like he's likely going to start carrying it around with him wherever he goes. And, obviously it's pretty cheap to get a big flatscreen for a desktop machine.

I'm not looking forward to this, but I've been asked to help the FIL buy a laptop. He's 67 and never used a computer before. I think all he wants it for is email, viewing family picture CDs, and maybe play a DVD movie.

I would rarely recommend going this route but it might be appropriate for your FIL...

Based on the requirements your stated, I would look for an older re-certified (i.e. used and reconditioned by manufacturer) laptop. The older Lenovo's tend to be pretty solid computers.

Looking at a site like newegg or similar you should be able to find something in the $250-$300 range.

It certainly won't be the greatest thing, but it will allow him to load email, view/watch cd's/dvd's. Normally there won't be a ton of hard drive space, but if the pictures are all on CD's then space isn't an option...same with movies.

I hate Apple... but make sure he gets an Apple.

The usability of the Apple O/S is better than Windows.

At 67, he'll spend a lot of time calling you asking how to do such-and-such.

M_C

Can you get an Apple laptop for less than a grand, though? Even an Apple desktop machine's going to be out of the price range he's thinking about. ****, a friggin' iPad's more expensive than the stuff he's talking about.

Get him a $200 Kindle Fire, a Netflix-streaming subscription, and a new set of eyeglasses (joking, of course).

Does he really *need* a laptop? If this is his first computer, it's not like he's likely going to start carrying it around with him wherever he goes. And, obviously it's pretty cheap to get a big flatscreen for a desktop machine.

Yeah it should be a laptop. He & his wife are snowbirds and live in AZ half the year. He'll want to bring it back & forth.

I would rarely recommend going this route but it might be appropriate for your FIL...

Based on the requirements your stated, I would look for an older re-certified (i.e. used and reconditioned by manufacturer) laptop. The older Lenovo's tend to be pretty solid computers.

Looking at a site like newegg or similar you should be able to find something in the $250-$300 range.

It certainly won't be the greatest thing, but it will allow him to load email, view/watch cd's/dvd's. Normally there won't be a ton of hard drive space, but if the pictures are all on CD's then space isn't an option...same with movies.

He'll want to be able to see & mess with the one he decides to buy, so online purchase will probably not be an option.

I hate Apple... but make sure he gets an Apple.

The usability of the Apple O/S is better than Windows.

At 67, he'll spend a lot of time calling you asking how to do such-and-such.

M_C

Yeah it'll be hard to get him to spend over $500 just for the ability to get pictures of the kids via email and view picture CDs. I think the macbook mini starts over $500.

Yeah it'll be hard to get him to spend over $500 just for the ability to get pictures of the kids via email and view picture CDs. I think the macbook mini starts over $500.

All right, that rules it out then.

The Toshiba 15" laptops and the Dell 15" laptops are under $500 with plenty of power, HD space and memory.

M_C

I'm pretty sure he'll want to use it for DVDs. Also he's 67 so I think he'll need at least a 15" display.

^This. Get him the largest display that he'll be comfortable carrying around. A larger screen usually comes with a more "normal sized" keyboard as well. You'll pay a bit more, but his eyes will thank you.

Processor: 2GHz or faster
Ram: 4-6GB
Hard Drive: 320GB

For web surfing, DVD watching, and the inevitable Mafia Wars/Farmville/Etc., you don't need to be concerned much about the video card.

^This. Get him the largest display that he'll be comfortable carrying around. A larger screen usually comes with a more "normal sized" keyboard as well. You'll pay a bit more, but his eyes will thank you.

I was about to post pretty much the same thing. A big display means a large keyboard. Both are good things for the elderly and/or inexperienced... or the blind like me. :p

They make some skinny laptops with big displays. I really like my Acer Aspire. It gets heavy use (I'm a techie by profession) and has held up well. Mine was closer to 700 IIRC but that was some time ago and I know some of the Aspire line are around 500 bucks.

I'd get the cheapest laptop you can with a small 15" screen. Then add a 20" external monitor, mouse and full sized keyboard. I kept trying to talk my FIL into a laptop and he resisted without telling me why. It finally came out that he doesn't want to learn how to use the touchpad instead of a mouse. Facepalm!

I bought a cheap HP laptop earlier this year at Bestbuy for 429. It was the best deal ever.

What a piece of crap. It lasted four months before I finally punched it hard enough to destroy it. I am now getting a new Mac.

I'd seriously consider a used or refurb mac if he has never had a comp before. Don't the iPads do what he wants?

Well it sounds like he was in a bigger hurry to get one than I thought. He called me tonight asking about a Toshiba he saw at best buy. After a lengthy discussion he decided he was going to buy it tonight. So let the fun begin.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Any cheap machine will play DVDs. As long as he is happy with the screen, he will be ok. And now that HE has picked it out, basically, he can't blame you for anything!!

You gotta wonder if he is only buying a laptop to catch up with old girlfriends on Facebook...

:off:
who uses dvd's anymore on portable devices when there is this? i use this UPnP server for my whole house and the kids love it (because the 11yr old gets to watch as much doctor who as she wants lately because she got straight A's)!!! i use it on my WII,PS3,XBOX,satellite recevers,mediagate, some BR dvd players, tv's that support UPnP, and alot more that ive tried... they even have an app for it and i get everything on my phone like home movies, pictures, 500 ripped movies in AVI, etc, that play from your computer that is running the program.. oh, the big thing is almost any sport from anywhere can be found with only a 15 second delay.

So remaining off topic :off:

Why would you use that software, making netflix stream to a computer acting as a server, then to your tv/phone, etc. When Netflix, Hulu, etc, allow you to have one login, and then login on the device you want. (Computer, phone, Xbox, Internet enabled TV)

And I'm guessing this is not an option for the OP, as I'm surprised when people of the age of his FIL know how to turn a computer on.

luke2080 said:
So remaining off topic :off:

Why would you use that software, making netflix stream to a computer acting as a server, then to your tv/phone, etc. When Netflix, Hulu, etc, allow you to have one login, and then login on the device you want. (Computer, phone, Xbox, Internet enabled TV)

And I'm guessing this is not an option for the OP, as I'm surprised when people of the age of his FIL know how to turn a computer on.

For the big question about Netflix is that they only allow so many devices under 1 account.. With this your unlimited!! I have netflix but use the other scripts alot more like "tv link" that has all the movies as netflix but 10 x more... Oh, and almost every tv series made... Lately been watching Dexter but I do have to wait a day until it's on the stream.. Like alot of things they do have their bugs but Im happy with it and it will soon replace satellite for me..

Edit: Ooooo, let's not talk about the pirated movies that are in theaters right now that can be found on there... That's a big no no...lol...

Latest posts

Back