After the D-Rest...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireman17

Reaction score
Did a D-rest on a dobbleback and a Pilsner. When I moved them back to the 40 degrees garage to start lagering I noticed something bi changed. 2 Days after being at 40 degrees all activity has stopped and the beer cleared up. (Not totally)There is almost nothing on top of either carboys. Rack to kegs?

Did a D-rest on a dobbleback and a Pilsner. When I moved them back to the 40 degrees garage to start lagering I noticed something bi changed. 2 Days after being at 40 degrees all activity has stopped and the beer cleared up. (Not totally)There is almost nothing on top of either carboys. Rack to kegs?

You should have allowed fermentation to finish before cooling it back down. Was it all done before you cooled it back down?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

After the diacetyl rest, the beer should be completely finished. At that time, it can be lagered. You can lager in a carboy, or a keg. I rack to the keg, and begin lagering in the keg at 34 degrees.

It's totally normal for the beer to clear at 40 degrees- that's essentially a cold crash and lager yeast would be inactive at those temperatures, that's why it's important for the beer to be finished before lagering.

After the diacetyl rest, the beer should be completely finished. At that time, it can be lagered. You can lager in a carboy, or a keg. I rack to the keg, and begin lagering in the keg at 34 degrees.

It's totally normal for the beer to clear at 40 degrees- that's essentially a cold crash and lager yeast would be inactive at those temperatures, that's why it's important for the beer to be finished before lagering.

What confused me was that he mentioned after 2 days of it being down at 40F all activity had stopped, which lead me to believe he was just going on time and that the fermentation was still active when he chilled it down.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. All activity had stopped before I moved it.

No prob. Just like to make sure we're giving good advice.

I usually rack to a 5 gallon carboy for lagering. I have more carboy space than I do kegs, and I can fit 3 5 gallon carboys in my fridge vs 2 corny kegs.

Back