What fruit to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
I've been collecting fruit in the freezer for the past several months with the intention of using some of it in a couple of sours. Mostly soft fruit the kids wouldn't eat.

I have 5 gallons of pLambic that I am going to split into 2 smaller containers (2.5 gallons each) and add fruit.

The big question is what fruit to use and how much. I don't have enough of any single fruit, so want to use combinations, but what works well together. I have:

Frozen
4 lbs Strawberries
1.5 lbs Cherries
1.5 lbs Blueberries
1.0 lbs Raspberries/Blackberries
0.75 lbs Black Grapes
0.5 lbs Bananas

Fresh
1.5 lbs Apricot
Several lbs of plums.

I was thinking of doing the following:

Batch #1) 1.5 lbs Blueberries + 1 lb raspberries/Blackberries + 1 lb Strawberries

Batch #2) 1.5 lbs Cherries + 2 lbs Strawberries

Batch 1: Use up your blueberries, raspberries/blackberries and 2# strawberries
Batch 2: Use up the cherries, rest of strawberries, black grapes and about a pound or 2 of plums.

I did this last year, but I split the batch into 6 one gallon containers. I had

sour cherries
blackberry/raspberry
strawberry
blueberry
grape
plain

Just bottled them last week, so I can't give you tasting notes, but I would do swap out the strawberries in batch 1 for grapes.

Frozen
4 lbs Strawberries
1.5 lbs Cherries
1.5 lbs Blueberries
1.0 lbs Raspberries/Blackberries
0.75 lbs Black Grapes
0.5 lbs Bananas

Fresh
1.5 lbs Apricot
Several lbs of plums.

What does the beer taste like? I wouldnt just add any fruit to a sour without tasting it and seeing what would mesh with the other flavors already in it

I was thinking of doing the following:

Batch #1) 1.5 lbs Blueberries + 1 lb raspberries/Blackberries + 1 lb Strawberries

Batch #2) 1.5 lbs Cherries + 2 lbs Strawberries

Of all of your fruits I would add.....

The berries (strawberry, rasp/blackberries) to a beer that wasnt very sour, as they can add a substantial amount of acidity on their own

Blueberries to a earthier more subtle bretty sour

Black grapes - useless for anything other than abv bump

Cherries (black?) to a soft-medium acidity sour, preferably one with a brighter citrus like sourness and not too funky

bananas - I dont see this as being a very good thing to add, very hazy, starchy and subtle flavor, would be a mess to deal with when racking

Apricots - either a medium acidity beer or a soft bretty sour

plums - next to no flavor once fermented but will give an abv bump

Back