Recipe help: Kona Coconut Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaj030201

Reaction score
I was hoping for some help on this recipe (actually a LOT of help!) Here goes:

- I dont really want to use coconut extract, rather I want to use toasted coconut. About how much is necessary? I want the flavor to be fairly pronounced.

- What type of hops would do best with the sweet coconut?

- What type of yeast is best suited for a sweet (coconut coffee) stout?

- I am considering spring water (preferably Hawaiian spring water). My tap water is just ok. Is spring water a good option?

Thanks in advance for the advice!!

- I dont really want to use coconut extract, rather I want to use toasted coconut. About how much is necessary? I want the flavor to be fairly pronounced.

Coconut doesn't have an assertive flavor like cherry or raspberry so you will need to use more to have a pronounced flavor. I would add 3-5lbs of toasted coconut with 20 min. left in the boil and at bottling add coconut extract to taste.

- What type of hops would do best with the sweet coconut?

I would recommend using only bittering hops--no flavor or aroma to get in the way of the coconut.

- What type of yeast is best suited for a sweet (coconut coffee) stout?

You can use English Ale yeast (WLP002 or WY1968) or Irish Ale yeast (WLP004 or WY1084) If you are to go with Irish Ale i would recommend adding lactose at the end of the boil or at bottling to backsweeten

- I am considering spring water (preferably Hawaiian spring water). My tap water is just ok. Is spring water a good option?

Spring water is fine.

Hope this helps!

Back