First simple all grain recipe hows it look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
Want a simple all grain carmel amber ale. Nothing fancy just something i can drink every day. I would like to accent malty and carmel flavors with some light but present hops. How does this look? any suggestions?

Batch size 5.5 gal
6 lbs MO
2 lbs Munich
2 lb Carmel 60
1.5 oz Sazz hops 3.5% 90 min
1 oz Sazz Hops 3.5% 15 min
Mash 154 F
Boil 90 min
Ferment 66-68F White labs 1004 (or similar)

THANKS!

Saaz is a little out of place there, I'd swap it for something american to make this more of an american amber ale (eg. cascade or willamette).

Not sure which yeast you mean, white labs 004 irish ale perhaps? I don't think there's a 1004.

Otherwise, I say go for it!

20% crystal malt is a bit much but if you use a clean well attenuating ale yeast it might not be too cloying. That mash temp means some residual sweetness and body, though, so I'd probably go with 1-1.25 pounds crystal instead of 2 pounds.

Yooperbrew: will do ill make it 1.25

Pinck: I got a 1lb of Saaz and 1 lb of Hallertauer i would like to use would one be better than the other? I dont understand hops very much yet so im having a little trouble understanding the differences

If Saaz and Hallertauer are your choices, either one is going to be fairly subtle in a beer with this much crystal, so go ahead and stick with Saaz.

Real Ale Rio Blanco is an APA with Saaz. IDK how much they use, but it is indeed subtle.

Imho, I would cut the munich down to a pound and the crystal down to a pound, unless your short of base grain. And I just did a pseudo pilsner (american yeast) that has 4.5 ounces of saaz, and was bittered with crystal. Like everyone is saying saaz is VERY subtle. Not overpowering in the least at 40ibu's.

I was going for subtle as the GF isnt a fan of hops so i wanted something that you can tell is there but not Hoppy if that makes sense. I will cut the munich down a bit. I do want something very malty though

Back