Mini keg question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagooBrew

Reaction score
If I use the mini kegs for a 5 gallon batch, can I just store the beer in them and then force carbonate when just before I intend to use them. I would rather force carbonate than use priming sugar but will only use one at a time.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I was more worried about overcarbing and having a mess on my hands.

The real issue is that since the mini-kegs aren't rated for a ton of pressure, force carbonating is really easy to screw up with a mini-keg. They aren't really rated for the pressures that homebrewers use for force carbonation (30psi + rocking, for example) as they are meant to be cheap and disposable.

There are guidelines on this forum for how much priming sugar to use with a mini-keg that seems to work well.

What about something more modest like 12-13psi? Wouldn't be crazy hard to rig up some sort of pressure relief.

I've had mine at 25psi for the past week without issues, as a test only. I'm doing this mainly for storing half batches, which will be at 10 -12psi. When I need to tap it, I pull out the valve and hook it up to my keezer using (pic #15). :mug:

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Back