Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Stille Nacht: Belgian Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DubbelDach

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP530 Abbey Ale
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 58F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 58F
Tasting Notes
Slight spicy hop flavor with lots o\'chocolate
This is my Xmas 2011 giveaway beer. Drinking one now, so I feel compelled to post. This is good!

• 14 lbs Belgian Pale
  • 1 lb Chocolate Malt
  • 12 oz Roasted Barley
  • 9 oz Belgian Debittered Black
  • 7 oz Belgian Special B
  • 22 oz Oats Flaked

• 2 oz Styrian Goldings (Pellets, 6.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
  • .5 oz Saaz (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 30 min.
  • .5 oz Saaz (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 2 min.

• 7 oz Belgian Chocolate (Cote d'Or Bittersweet Chocolate, one 3.5 oz bar of 86% and one 3.5 oz bar of 70%) chopped and boiled 10 mins.
  • 4 oz Cacao Nibs (bagged and added to secondary for 2 weeks)

• 1 vial White Labs WLP530 Abbey Ale (big starter)

The juju:

The mess... VIGOROUS primary!

The custom caps from BottleMark:

The finished product:

Been a while, but IIRC, not chocolatey enough. I'd do all the above and then touch it off with some chocolate extract before bottling/kegging. That would add some aroma at the very least. Also maybe some vanilla bean. Since I made this, I learned that a touch of vanilla can really round out chocolate flavors. the beer itself was solid. I still use the base recipe (FBS clone basically, except this subs in Belgian counterparts like Special B for the C120, etc.)

Size of a starter? Big. Or pitch 2 vials. Either way. I probably stepped it up twice if I had time, if that helps. Of course, maybe it was too big since the beer literally 'sploded all over (-:

Cheers!

Great tips - thanks for replying. I've been watching this thread a while hoping that it produced a good result and it seems like it's worth a shot.

Back