Bottle Conditioning at Low End Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floodbrew

Reaction score
Just bottled a sweet stout over the weekend after about a month in my primary. Started at 1.075 that included 14oz of lactose in the mix. Hit my target finish at 1.023. I used Wyeast 1098 British and my temps in the basement were right around 63 until the final week when I moved the bucket closer to my hot water heater and furnace and increased to 65 for the finish. I know 63 is low end for the strain but my last hydro sample taste assured me all went well.

Now that I've bottled with 4oz of priming sugar, my boxes are off the floor at 63 degrees again. I'm sure they will carbonate up just fine, but was curious if, for instance, I moved them upstairs to the living area at 70.. what affect would this have after a month of fermentation in a lower range?

I really don't have a good place to store 28 bombers outside of the basement unless it would make a significant difference in the finished product. Just wondering if anybody switches up location when the beer hits the bottles and why.

Of course I just saw a similar post just below this one.. . I can refer to those answers from Revvy, but any other feedback is welcome.

I know the general recomendations are to bottle condition at 70, but I'm always lower than that. Might take a little longer(maybe 3 weeks instead of 2) but it always eventually carbs OK(so far!)

No negative effects from moving them upstairs. As long as the beer was done when you bottled it, warming it up won't do anything bad.

I'd keep them upstairs until they're carbed, then store in the basement. You can leave them in the basement, but like JimRausch said above me, it'll take a bit longer.

Thanks guys, I'm not worried about the beer if I move it up to 70. I was more curious what benefits would be found with that move. From what I see, its speed of carbonation. Otherwise by this point can I assume any of the temperature driven benefits related to taste appear to be gone?

Otherwise by this point can I assume any of the temperature driven benefits related to taste appear to be gone?

Correct. Controlling the temperature is vital for the early stages of fermentation, and that's about it (unless you're using a finicky strain of yeast, lagering, etc.)

The tiny bit of fermentation that's happening in the bottle won't generate any off flavors at the warmer temperatures. Most people that brew lagers even bottle condition them at room temperature, not lager temperature.

Latest posts

Back