Automated immersion coil stirring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewsme

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using the following method for cooling my wort for six months or so and it works so well that I wanted to share. Basically I have a stainless steel mix-stir http://www.midwestsupplies.com/the-stainless-steel-mix-stir.html for de-gassing wine hooked up to a drill. It's completely automated so I can focus on cleaning up while the wort cools. Using this method the temp dropped from ~200 to under 80 in five minutes! Here are some pics:

photo2.jpg

photo4.jpg

I know a lot of people use some sort of stirring with an IC, but OOOooooo the "automation" is nice. Oh the wonders of spare lumber. :)

Was going to go to the thrift store soon and try to find a electric ice cream maker (the paddle that moves not the tumbler) and see how it does... I alway seem to start cooling and walk away and forget for a 1/2 hour :mug:

uhoh now we get to decide ONCE AND FOR ALL if HSA is a myth or not right?

I do like it brewsme.

I wish people would forget all about HSA, I facepalm every time I read it.

HSA is myth on our scale, large breweries might have an issue. but nothing here

I know this is an old thread.... but I'm confused...how does the drill sit on the wood beam? Doesn't that black part turn also? Or does that part stay stationary? Also how do you get the button to hold down?

I've since moved on to a plate chiller but I would wrap the cord around a screw on the end of the 2x4 - It doesn't take much to keep the drill in place. The drill has a lock button that keeps the trigger down and a dial so I keep the speed to a minimum - just enough to keep the wort moving.

Back