Ginger beer plant to ferment ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikebux

Reaction score
As anyone tried to use gbp to ferment a mead?? Been using it to make ginger ale w honey and it ferments quite well,, gonna tri it w a mead and wondering if anyone has tried this yet..

I have never tried that, but i used to have a Ginger Beer Plant colony. Sadly it did not survive my neglect..

You should do it, I for one would be curious how it turns out!

Did you ever try this and did it work? I'm thinking of doing the same.

What does the bacteria do? This sounds similar to making sake with the yeast ball that contains bacteria to break down the rice. WVMJ

I have not tried it yet. Been on a beer kick lately and have to restart my gbp, due to neglect ..? If someone tries it before me please let me know how it turns out....

I have made mead by fermenting with the ginger beer plant sold by www.gingerbeerplant.net, find them on Facebook also. I love everything I made with that GBP. This source even has their culture housed in a storage facility in Geneva ( I think that is where it is). The ferments are not aged, at least not in my home. Just be aware all GBP is not the same. The source I listed along with yemoos.com are the only two reputable sources I would ever recommend. In fact yemoos.com has a great explanation plus photos showing the difference between real GBP and water kefir grains. There is a company in the UK which sells 'retro' style goods and I compared their GBP culture to the one from gingerbeerplant.net and they are not the same thing; in fact I think the other culture was a variant of GBP plus water kefir grains. Both fermented the honey/water, but the end product was much different. And then, you have ginger beer plant made of bread yeast, ground ginger and sugar. I make an awesome scrumpy with GBP. I need to get more, since my son inadvertantly destroyed all of mine.

Cool, I just ordered a ginger beer plant from that www.gingerbeerplant.net and one off Ebay which categorically says it is not ginger beer plant as it dose not have the bacteria. I'll prob just chuck it when it arrives and use the real one. What % did you get from the plant and if doing mead will it Ned just the same nutrients as yeast?

Cool, I just ordered a ginger beer plant from that www.gingerbeerplant.net and one off Ebay which categorically says it is not ginger beer plant as it dose not have the bacteria. I'll prob just chuck it when it arrives and use the real one. What % did you get from the plant and if doing mead will it Ned just the same nutrients as yeast?

I never measured ACV, but you can. There are recipes posted on the net page and/or FB, and I just used the recipes he has perfected.

Back