Moldy and if so still safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rushtons

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am still very new at brewing, this is actually my 3rd batch and i noticed an odd looking film on the top of my latest batch that I am unsure about. Do you guys think this is mold and if so is it still safe? It has been in the pail for 5 days but I didn't notice anything on the top till today. there is no bad smell or anything like that .

2012-07-26 11.55.28.jpg

2012-07-26 12.05.13.jpg

2012-07-26 12.05.23.jpg

Looks 100% normal to me. Just offgassing CO2 fizz.

Even if it were mold, not gonna hurt you. But it's not.

Taste it to confirm, but it looks fine to me. Remember that nothing pathogenic to humans can grow in beer, it can only smell/taste awful.

That's not mold, it's foam- no need to taste or do any damn thing. That's just the tiniest bit of foam from fermentation or offgassing. Close that sucker up and wait for final gravity plus one week. Then you can package as you see fit. Looks like beer to me!

Looks normal, but to be sure you should probably bottle it all and send it to me for research and testing purposes! :tank:

Back