15 month Slant Revival

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredTheNuke

Reaction score
What is the longest anyone has attempted? I just started waking up 3 vials of May 2012 slanted Wyeast Urquell Pilsner yeast... Each is in 250ml of fresh wort on stir plates... Tomorrow will tell.

No bueno thus far. S.G. still at 1.036 from 1.040. 24 more hours just to be sure and then time to hit the eject button.

It will probably take a few days. I typically start at 50 to 100 mL on my first step and that can take a day or two. That is using frozen yeast in 4 dram vials.

bingo! This morning (36 hours) I was starting to get chocolate milk instead of straight wort. Too bad one of my 3 stirplates died overnight... New one on order but will have to collapse down to 2 starters (I have until Saturday to grow them big enough for 30 gallons of lager - gonna be a stretch but I am growing up to 5000ml flask size).

Update for anyone wondering if a 15 month old slant (kept at 36 degrees the entire time) will come alive. I stepped up to 3500ml per starter last night and they are offgassing so fast you see continuous CO2 bubbles - very active. All 3 look and smell the same (most likely the actual Sacc yeast is what took hold not an infection). Slanting is an amazing technique!!!

I've used slants from september 2011. I start at about 100mL for about 2 days then step up to 2L. I also count my yeast. I've read somewhere on here to step in 1:10 or 1:100 intervals (100mL pitched into 1L or 10mL to 1L) can't remember. I'll try to find it.

I'm 1 for 2 in reviving two year old vials from a friend's fridge. Procrastination was the only thing that granted the start the extra day to show visible signs. Old slant to starter for a 30gal batch is pretty awesome.

It has a 1.059 OG down to 1.026 after 6 days at 52F. Chugging along but much slower than the first few days.

Latest posts

Back