6 Row malt Windfall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbushwhacker

Reaction score
I have come into windfall of 180lbs. of 6row malt, how long will this keep? as of now it is in 4 garbage bags and I was thinking of using 10lbs. zip lock bags? Just finishing my Lauter tunn and will attempt a first attempt at all grain brew. Anyone have a good recepie that will put a small dent into this grain supply? I like a good American Ale.

Steve

Sounds like about enough for a block party brew.

It will keep a long time as long as you keep it dry and rodent free. Maybe a year or more bagged up.

I have brewed a lot of beer with briess 6 row in my early brewing days because it was the cheapest malt I could get at my home brew store.

Any recipe calling for pale ale malt will work with 6 row brewers malt. Its a lighter kiln and has a grainy character I like. I've made lagers with it too that came out nice.

I have grain kept for 2 years now. Most of it is bagged in plastic and heat sealed.
I have 2 sacks not opened that are 2 years old also. As long as it is cool and dry,
it should last years.

Back