Need help, New Car...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

year2beer

Reaction score
OK... I'm buying a new car and can't freaking decide. I know its crazy but here are the choices...and YES I will probably live out of it. Haha... not really.

1. Nissan GTR
2. Audi A5 V8 loaded
3. BMW M3
4. Mustang SVT GT500
5. Dodge Challenger/Corvette Z06

Concepts to follow:

Decent gas mileage... yeah right!
Smooth ride but sporty when needed.
Must be reliable... and easy to work on... my other hobby.
Can go between automatic and manual trans(for the wife)

I'm open to other rides as well... but want to purchase new...

THANKS AGAIN!

The only one of those I have experience with is the Z06. I probably wouldn't recommend it for what you describe you're looking for. It's definitly got balls, but what is has in performance it lacks in a comfortable ride. The sport suspension is not very forgiving and has little up and down travel, making a pretty bumpy ride. Also if you're planning on driving it more than just around town, the tranny tunnel gets really hot, and seeing as it sits high between the driver and passenger, sometimes it gets uncomfortable. And as far as I can tell, none of the cars you listed are "easy" to work on, except perhaps the Challenger (i've yet to see under the hood) but i'm also unfamiliar with your mechanical abilities. Hope this helps a bit, and hope you end up with a sweet ride.

I a huge Audi fan... but I probably wouldn't go that way.

The Audi would be an S5, not an A5, if it has the V-8. I drove one for four days throughout Germany, and had a blast with it. However, as much as I love the car, I wouldn't buy one here in the US. It's a great Autobahn cruiser, but our speed limits are far too low and I'd get into too much trouble with it here. Heck, I got my first speeding ticket in about 12 years in a loaner A5 3.0 because it was just too easy to drive fast.

Aw, what the heck... get the S5!!!

I'm a fan of the classics, and the retro, so I'd recommend the Mustang or the Challenger/Corvette.

I think the best way to find out which one rides nicest is to actually take them out on a drive...

All of them will be tuned for performance, not comfort, although pretty much every car made is better in both ways than the older versions.

2012 Volvo S80 V8. This car is nice looking, but not flashy. It is extremely comfortable, but has plenty of power and performance. They are very reliable, at least in previous years, and not terrible to work on. It has both automatic and the ability to shift with a paddle. Mileage is not too bad. I have the T6 and it is great for me. I don't need tremendous performance, but it does get up and go when you need it. The V8 gets 15-22MPG. I average 23 on all driving with the T6.

Take a test drive, you'll love it!

Homercidal said:
I'm a fan of the classics, and the retro, so I'd recommend the Mustang or the Challenger/Corvette.

I think the best way to find out which one rides nicest is to actually take them out on a drive...

All of them will be tuned for performance, not comfort, although pretty much every car made is better in both ways than the older versions.

I am getting ready to leave Europe next year. I can get a killer deal on an S5 or BMW locally... but have to make the purchase soon.

It sounds like I need to delete the CORVETTE( SECRETLY I wouldn't feel right driving one daily) add Volvo, and give a lot of love to the S5.

Thanks for the quick feedback... keep it coming

Wus67 said:
The only one of those I have experience with is the Z06. I probably wouldn't recommend it for what you describe you're looking for. It's definitly got balls, but what is has in performance it lacks in a comfortable ride. The sport suspension is not very forgiving and has little up and down travel, making a pretty bumpy ride. Also if you're planning on driving it more than just around town, the tranny tunnel gets really hot, and seeing as it sits high between the driver and passenger, sometimes it gets uncomfortable. And as far as I can tell, none of the cars you listed are "easy" to work on, except perhaps the Challenger (i've yet to see under the hood) but i'm also unfamiliar with your mechanical abilities. Hope this helps a bit, and hope you end up with a sweet ride.

I have enough mechanical skill to mess with anything that doesn't involve a ton of electronics... guess that rules all of them out. Haha... I'm confident I could have fun with all of them.

Shoot, do Euro delivery on an M3 and don't look back. And go with a manual transmission. If your wife wants to drive make her learn. An auto transmission on a car like that is such a waste. With the M3 you'll have a screaming engine and a great driver experience. The GTR is for people who want the car to do all the work. The A5 is a family car, albeit a sporty family car. GT500 is ok if you want to make a lot of noise and go fast in a straight line. Why is a challenger on the list? A corvette z06 is crazy fast and would be fun, but you said you wouldn't feel right in one. Definitely go with the M3.

M3. people attach a lot of stigma to BMW's, but they are solid cars. unbelievable handling. it is a true "driver's car".

Wow, I wish I had problems like yours....

If it were me, I'd go BMW all the way. Second choice would be the Nissan.

Shoot, do Euro delivery on an M3 and don't look back. And go with a manual transmission. If your wife wants to drive make her learn. An auto transmission on a car like that is such a waste. With the M3 you'll have a screaming engine and a great driver experience. The GTR is for people who want the car to do all the work. The A5 is a family car, albeit a sporty family car. GT500 is ok if you want to make a lot of noise and go fast in a straight line. Why is a challenger on the list? A corvette z06 is crazy fast and would be fun, but you said you wouldn't feel right in one. Definitely go with the M3.

The A5/S5 is a coupe; as much as it has a somewhat useful back seat, I wouldn't consider it a "family car". I'd consider it a great highway cruiser, since it's really a bit too heavy to be put in the same class as the M3.

And I agree 100% with the manual transmission thing. However, the way things are going with the "flappy-paddle gearboxes", manuals will be gone in about 10 years or so.

Oh, and reason not to buy a BMW:

137e72ef5d59df4ce0d1d0ef2a49c894.jpg

1. Nissan GTR
2. Audi A5 V8 loaded
3. BMW M3
4. Mustang SVT GT500
5. Dodge Challenger/Corvette Z06

I have an Audi A4 2.0L turbo. I'm very happy with it. Would have rather had an S4 but I couldn't find one when I was looking.

I was looking into the GT500 but it's freaking heavy...needs to go on a diet. Sure, the HP is nice but the weight of it is huge.

I hate to admit it, but dollar for dollar you can't beat the Z06.

It might sound goofy, but did you ever condider a Lotus? Priced in or under the range your looking at, you get a supercar look with good perfomance at a relatively inexpensive price. Granted they're mostly 16v inline 4's, but with the turbo they're pushing pretty decent horsepower with good gas mileage. Just a thought.

fifelee said:

Is this guy serious?

He obviously wants performance, not a rechargeable flashlight-on-wheels.

Is this guy serious?

He obviously wants performance, not a rechargeable flashlight-on-wheels.

I am a rush Limbaugh listening right wing wacko, but those that bash the volt are dead wrong. it is an amazing car. Yes it won't do150, but it handles like a performance car . Electric motors are snappy and powerful. I dare any naysayers to take a test drive.

After being staunchly against electric cars in the past, I an looking forward to actually test driving one. Not that I could see myself buying a new one.

But to place it in the same category as the cars listed by the OP? I don't think we're there yet. If they can improve the range enough, they will be all over the place in a short time. Then, when our power plants are brought down by Chinese hackers, we'll all be screwed.

I got a friend who is looking into getting a hybrid of some sort. He's a Jeep owner and lover.

I am a rush Limbaugh listening right wing wacko, but those that bash the volt are dead wrong. it is an amazing car. Yes it won't do150, but it handles like a performance car . Electric motors are snappy and powerful. I dare any naysayers to take a test drive.

my close friend has a volt. it's ok, but i'd honestly prefer a ford fusion hybrid over it. and, keep in mind, the volt is for all intents and purposes a two seater car. the back seat's as useful as a porsche 944's. ditto with the trunk.

as far as EV's go, I personally would not buy a car that is incapable of two-way power flow. nor would I buy a one that doesn't have a DC fast charge port.

Of coarse the Volt isn’t in the same category as the OP’s car list. Frankly the Volt is a category of one (nothing like a prius). It can’t match the HP of an ICE, but it has a very respectable torque of 273ft-lbs (nearly double the prius and close to the range of the other cars on his list) and rides much like a performance car (largely due to the better weight distribution). I only suggested it because it does somewhat fit the criteria listed by the OP.

- Under common driving patterns the Volt is the cheapest car on the planet to operate. Yet you get some great performance.

-Volt fits this perfectly. Remember with an ICE torque is related to RPM. With an electric motor it is instantly available.

-Reliability is yet to be determined but so far so good. Is any car easy to work on any more?

- Volt doesn't fit this bill, but it does imply the OP likes technology and the ability to play with the car. The volt is a big leap toward what technology we will see in the future and gives ample opportunity to play

Now if the OP wants to soup up a car and stick it on the drag strip then of coarse the volt doesn’t work. But for a daily driver the Volt can be a blast.

These guys (GM-Volt: Chevy Volt Electric Car Site) are the volt experts if any one has questions.

fifelee said:

Political views are moot here.

Among the cars he listed are the M-Series BMW which was originally designed as a race car, and the Z06 - the fastest production car (off the assembly line) on the planet.

Had he asked for the best hybrid or electric car to purchase, it would have been a good suggestion. I just don't see how you thought that would genuinely help the OP with his 'dilemma'.

Political views are moot here.

Among the cars he listed are the M-Series BMW which was originally designed as a race car, and the Z06 - the fastest production car (off the assembly line) on the planet.

Had he asked for the best hybrid or electric car to purchase, it would have been a good suggestion. I just don't see how you thought that would genuinely help the OP with his 'dilemma'.

It is comments like "He obviously wants performance, not a rechargeable flashlight-on-wheels" that aren't helping the OP. You imply electric cars are inferior. In the past you would be correct, but the Volt is starting to blur the line. In the future electric power will be considered superior to gas (remember with gas only about 30% of the power gets to the wheels). Trains are electric for a reason. The only problem to date is energy storage. The volt has found a unique way to bridge the gap until electrical storage is developed. I do believe it is worth a look and the OP can decide himself.

We are now getting near a thread hyjack so others please jump in with other car suggestions and advise.

-Reliability is yet to be determined but so far so good. Is any car easy to work on any more?

hahhahhaha! except for the tiny fact that they catch on fire!!

"chestnuts roasting on a lithium fire...."

lets stop the threadjack from the volt salesman. start a new thread if you want to debate EV's.

Wow... I am so intrigued that I will at least test driveway volt. Truth is... I'd rather own an overpriced Tesla if I were going to go electric.

Update: rest driving a 2012 M3 this week... if the weather holds up. Ill then head to the Audi dealership for an S5 experience...

Any.other combustible engine vehicle's I should think about?

hahhahhaha! except for the tiny fact that they catch on fire!!

"chestnuts roasting on a lithium fire...."

lets stop the threadjack from the volt salesman. start a new thread if you want to debate EV's.

I have tired to stop, but incorrect info must be corrected. A crash tested car started on fire a few days later when it wasn't properly discharged.
20,000 gas cars start on fire every year, often with people in them. I'd much rather my wrecked car start on fire days later then when I am trapped inside. :)

yeah, i'd much rather have my car spontaneously combust in my garage in the middle of the night after a minor fender bender with my wife and children sleeping 30 feet away from it.

oh, and again...lithium....

i'm not saying they are unsafe cars. I just wouldn't go so far as to say "so far so good!" when GM is currently offering to buy them back because they unsafe.

yeah, i'd much rather have my car spontaneously combust in my garage in the middle of the night after a minor fender bender with my wife and children sleeping 30 feet away from it.

oh, and again...lithium....

i'm not saying they are unsafe cars. I just wouldn't go so far as to say "so far so good!" when GM is currently offering to buy them back because they unsafe.

Yet more falsehoods and exaggerations I would love to tackled, but I'll be the bigger man and stop this hyjack.

Go with the Mustang. I'm sure all the all the cars you mention perform great, but for me the Mustangs are head turners. I love how the designers honor the look of classic Mustangs yet make it look totally new and eye popping. Plus I like how Ford is an american company that has stood on its own.

Yet more falsehoods and exaggerations I would love to tackled, but I'll be the bigger man and stop this hyjack.

Go with the Mustang. I'm sure all the all the cars you mention perform great, but for me the Mustangs are head turners. I love how the designers honor the look of classic Mustangs yet make it look totally new and eye popping. Plus I like how Ford is an american company that has stood on its own.

I took a 5.0 out on the town and wasn't really impressed. I've read the reviews on GT500's... but have to say that a sporty ride is just as important.

Unfortunately, I need a car that can road trip or race... and the M3 has that package standard. This means I don't have to screw with coil overs, airbags, etc. suspensions...

I'm excited to test drive the M3... MORE TO COME!

Thanks to all who have thrown their $.02 on this thread... much appreciated. BTW, my wife hates me right now... hahaha

Um really? There is no contest here, get the gtr.

I was under the impression the the new 5.0 mustang was just as fast and handled on par with the M3.

the Z06 - the fastest production car (off the assembly line) on the planet.

No, you're wrong.

Of coarse the Volt isn’t in the same category as the OP’s car list. Frankly the Volt is a category of one (nothing like a prius). It can’t match the HP of an ICE, but it has a very respectable torque of 273ft-lbs (nearly double the prius and close to the range of the other cars on his list) and rides much like a performance car (largely due to the better weight distribution). I only suggested it because it does somewhat fit the criteria listed by the OP.

- Under common driving patterns the Volt is the cheapest car on the planet to operate. Yet you get some great performance.

-Volt fits this perfectly. Remember with an ICE torque is related to RPM. With an electric motor it is instantly available.

- Volt doesn't fit this bill, but it does imply the OP likes technology and the ability to play with the car. The volt is a big leap toward what technology we will see in the future and gives ample opportunity to play

Now if the OP wants to soup up a car and stick it on the drag strip then of coarse the volt doesn’t work. But for a daily driver the Volt can be a blast.

These guys (GM-Volt: Chevy Volt Electric Car Site) are the volt experts if any one has questions.

Not so quickly...

Looks like the taxpayer is on the hook for most of the cost of these pieces of dung.

Electric just doesn't make sense financially. The government needs to give tax credits to make vehicles even remotely affordable, and given the costs of electric vs. gas (or better yet, diesel), it would take about 12 years to just break even. Given the cost of electricity where I live, it would be even longer.

Cadillac CTS-V first generations(04-07) were essentially c5 zo6's with a sedan body 400hp, 395lb-ft. Second generations (09+) 556hp. Sporty yet large sedan comfortable.

BryanJ said:
No, you're wrong.

I should have been more specific for you. Under $300,000 that any normal hard-working American can buy. I really don't consider those faster than the Z06 true production cars when their sticker price is $2,000,000 and they only make 120 of them...

Latest posts

Back