Bottling in screwtop wine bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewhan

Reaction score
I'm about to brew my first batch of beer, and was wondering whether bottling in screwtop wine bottles would work?

Would the pressure of carbonation be too much for the glass?

Or would the pressure break the seal of the cap?

Thanks heaps for looking :)

Wine bottles of any type are not meant to handle pressure of any type. Save them for still apfelwein or mead, but do not try to carb beer in them. Use CHAMPAGNE or beer bottles instead.

If you don't have enough glass beer bottles, you could use soda bottles. They are designed for pressure, and easily hold the pressure needed for carbonation. Maybe not as "fancy", but they work!

If you don't have enough glass beer bottles, you could use soda bottles. They are designed for pressure, and easily hold the pressure needed for carbonation. Maybe not as "fancy", but they work!

And if you leave the original labels on the 12 ounce ones, and match the beer color to the original contents, you can often take them places where beer my be frowned upon, but soda is not. One of my brewbuddies always bottles at least a sixer in some for communtiy events and other public drinking. Vernors is a good bottle for pale ales and ipa, coke for stouts and porters, and various flavored iced tea and mountain dew can also hide a multitude of beer colors.

Hey, thanks for the helpful responses! I think I'll just use the PET plastic bottles sold at my local brewstore.

Actually, would glass gingerbeer bottles with screw-on caps work?

You could reuse Boone's Farm bottles, but I doubt that's what you're talking about. I don't think I've heard anybody refer to that as "wine."

And if you leave the original labels on the 12 ounce ones, and match the beer color to the original contents, you can often take them places where beer my be frowned upon, but soda is not. One of my brewbuddies always bottles at least a sixer in some for communtiy events and other public drinking. Vernors is a good bottle for pale ales and ipa, coke for stouts and porters, and various flavored iced tea and mountain dew can also hide a multitude of beer colors.

LOL, that is brilliant. :mug: :ban:

Latest posts

Back