2nd time - ferment stopped then started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranceamerica

Reaction score
Ok, two ales in a row (different yeast, mutons the first time, and windsor the second) have had very vigorous ferments for the first 24 hours, then stopped all visual signs of fermentation, then after a week, started up again with new krausen and all.

They are not brewing at the same time, one I'm almost done drinking, the other is still in the carboy. I haven't checked the gravity, as I can still see that the second one is still going.

Why would they stop then start again? Weird.

Major temp change? It coolled of and the yeasties crashed and had a nap, them the temp warmed up, they woke up and started partying again...That's all I can figure.

Major temp change? It coolled of and the yeasties crashed and had a nap, them the temp warmed up, they woke up and started partying again...That's all I can figure.

that's what I was thinking too, but I don't think the temp changed that much. First time didn't seem to harm the beer, tastes great!

You don't have any kids, grandkids, or poltergeists that could have shaken up the carboy when you weren't looking, and after fermentation had already settled down, do you?

Earthquake, maybe?

You don't have any kids, grandkids, or poltergeists that could have shaken up the carboy when you weren't looking, and after fermentation had already settled down, do you?

Earthquake, maybe?

huh. I gave the carboy a good shake after about 3 or 4 days. Wondered why it'd stopped so quickly. Didn't seem to have any effect - maybe it was delayed effect by 1 week?

maybe you are psychic.

If you shook it after it stopped the first time, then you unstuck it...You reroused the yeast out of suspension and they kicked into fermentation gear again...

That's what is recomended to help unstick fermentation, and to help bottle carbing.

Back