50 Gallon Single Hop Double IPA. First 2bbl Batch- Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lastsecondapex

Reaction score
Sorry, not a single hop- but cannot edit the title

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP 090 San Diego Super Yeast
Yeast Starter: 5 gallons
Batch Size (Gallons): 50
Original Gravity: 1.093
Final Gravity: 1.017
IBU: 96.9
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 11* SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 17 @70
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 @72

150lb American 2-Row Pale
20lb American Crystal 40L
12lb Wildflower Honey (at flameout)

8oz Columbus (Tomahawk) pellet 12.8aa @60
8oz Cascade leaf 5.5aa @30
8oz Cascade leaf 5.5aa @20
16oz Columbus (Tomahawk) pellet 12.8aa @20
8oz Cascade leaf 5.5aa @10
8oz Columbus (Tomahawk) pellet 12.8aa @10
16oz Cascade leaf 5.5aa @5

dry hop 7 days 16oz Cascade leaf 5.5aa

It will be my first batch on the new 60gal system, so be easy on me. Any thoughts?

Sorry, not a single hop- but cannot edit the title

Looks really good! I've done IPAs with those two hops before and in my experience the Columbus tends to come through a lot stronger than Cascade. So if that's what you are looking for then that's great. If you actually want to taste the Cascades I'd maybe do a 2:1 ratio of Cascade to Columbus for the late additions.

I'd also probably increase the dry hop. I was reading a recent issue of Zymurgy and they published some recipes for Union Jack IPA, Stone Ruination, etc and those recipes call for between .5 to 1oz of dry hop per gallon. So depending on the dry hop character you are looking for on a 50 gallon batch i'd do a minimum of 25oz dry hop.

I'd skip the honey and save the cash for more hops, personally. The honey will ferment out and leave little (aside from dryness and booze) in it's wake. 12 pounds of honey is going to run, what, $40? That's a couple of pounds of hops in my book. I'd sub some table sugar for the dryness-factor you're looking for, if it were my batch of beer. I like the CTZ/cascade combo, but as noted above, CTZ has a powerful resinous flavor and aroma that can dominate the delicate flavors of cascade hops. Good luck with the huge brew!

Edit: I'll second the call for more dry hops as well. My IIPAs are dry hopped at a rate of one ounce per gallon -- huge hop flavor and aroma.

i think bigbeergeek has a point, as its a huge beer with plenty of hops to mask any flavor the honey can add

Good call on the dry hop and honey guys. In regards to the volume, I am brewing 50 gallons solely because I can. :cross: Actually, I am going to be tuning in the system for a pro job at a brewpub. Since I have the system, I need only find a restaurant that will let me brew there and split revenue. But regardless, it sucks filling up bourbon barrels 10 gal batches at a time...

Back