Short Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stldrum

Reaction score
Newbie here. Made a partial grain Stout - lots of DME & LME - Irish Ale liquid yeast. Expected the fermentation to go a long time with that much ME in there. Started bubbling in just 4 hours, went crazy for only 60 hours, now on it's 4th day it's down to 1 bubble every 30 seconds. I know that it is still working, I just expected a much longer vigorous fermentation.

Krausen has fallen - I have not done a reading yet - but does it sound like maybe it needs a boost on the yeast or that it just worked really fst and it's now getting ready to finish?

Can you tell I'm eager to get this one in the bottle? It tasted excellent after the boil!!

Thx

4 days primary fermentation is pretty much the average for me, even for heavier beers. I'd say things are moving along just fine.

-walker

Thanks for validating my desire to rack to the secondary. This one I want to drink ASAP, so I've been looking at it every couple of hours!

I had one (Palmer Porter), brewed it in the morning & went to Hop Madness. Got home the next afternoon. No action. Checked the gravity, it was almost done! It was a warmish weekend.

I find myself walking down stairs every couple of hours to look at my carboy during fermentation. My last American Wheat brew bubbled solidly for 9 days. Hope yours turns out well.

Just racked to the secondary this weekend. FG was good and the taste was great. Now I just have to wait a week or so and put it in bottles. Then wait 2 more weeks. Waiting is definetly the hard part.

Thx for all the help!!

Back