3 Conries + 2 funnels = 2 conicals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o2nut

Reaction score
So I have 3 cornies that I received missing the rubber boot. I found a funnel for $30 each that I could weld on the bottom. I was thinking of making 2ea 7.5+ gallon conical out them. So the question I have what are the downsides to tall and skinny fermenters? Pro Brewers use them all the time. Total cost wold be about $100 for 2 fermenters.
Thanks

While listening to Brew Strong on the BN I remember a show where Jamil talked about the advantages of a larger diameter yeast cake with cleaning up the beer better during conditioning. Something that was an advantage of homebrewers over commercial.

I believe it was the "Yeast Starters" show. I don't know if this matters all that much, nor do I have any knowledge on the topic.

Yeah I have listened to all those. And they mentioned more pressure on the yeast as well. But at the same time people are pressurizing their fermentors duiring fermentation, good or bad. I have welding skills and do not know if I can pass up two conicals for less than $100.

I think they say that it will just produce different effects; different conditions for the yeast produce different yeast profiles. The shape of one's frementor is what can contributes to "house flavor." A little stressing of the yeast is not always an inherently a bad thing...
Try it and see how the yeast reacts when you do a split batch.

FYI, reports from others who have tried welding cornies (like Yuri)... it's a total ***** because the material is so thin. I'd also be worried about the seam between the cornie and the funnel, trying to get that weld neat so you can keep it clean and sanitized.

Given the small size, I can't imagine the pressure issues that pro brewers deal with would come into play to any appreciable effect. Their yeast is dealing with the pressure of many bbls' worth of beer on top of them, not a couple gallons. I can't imagine the effect would be appreciable different from fermenting in a carboy (assuming you still had the cornies airlocked so pressure wasn't building up).

Latest posts

Back