Gah! Im getting sick of my 'fru fruish' beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
Call it a phase or whatever, or at least I hope it is... But my last 2 batches are getting on my nerves right now.

I kegged my DC raspberry stout a couple of weeks ago and tapped it today to see how it tasted.

Tonight, I kegged my AHS Holiday ale after it had been in the primary for a month.

The DC stout was rather tasty but could use some more time to age, but definitely not a daily drinker (the jury is still out on this one) At any rate, the sweet cloying smell of the reminants of my DC stout in the glass, and the sweet spicy cloying smell of the holiday ale just rubbed me the wrong way tonight.
Maybe its the reminants of this flu/cold **** and feeling like ass in general. But these beers just pissed me off tonight. Im gonna drink a Boddingtons now.
-Me

It must be the reminants of my sickness... Even this Rogue brown ale pissing me off with how it tastes too...

WTF?
-Me

im not really a fan of the "fru furish" fruty beers either. once in a while is ok but just not really my bag. with that said I may try to make one just because

I'm fighting something off too. My home brew is pissing me off also. I was blaming the way I feel on my home brew. I'm drinking scotch and water tonight.

I put a standard Porter and Blue Moon clone in primary yesterday. Blue Moon is the wife's. But I understand what you mean.

For me, those kinda beers are perfect candidates for 3 gallon batches....if I really dig 'em and they get zapped quick, I'll just brew it again.

For me, those kinda beers are perfect candidates for 3 gallon batches....if I really dig 'em and they get zapped quick, I'll just brew it again.

I agree smaller batches might be a good idea. If you are kegging and making something other than a session beer, it might be worth bottling that batch. No need to tie up a keg. Unless you love stout and are into it as a daily drink.

I would hate to have a big raspberry porter or a holiday ale in a keg come spring. To me, an October Pumpkin Ale is a prime candidate for bottling.

If this bothers you get a blichman beer gun, some bottles and empty that sucker when you get tired of knocking them back.

Im thinking that the beer gun (or other suitable alternative) might have to be whats on the buy list next. I just recently got into kegging cause its something new and cool and blah blah blah...

With that comes the fact that you now have 5 gallons... 5 WHOLE gallons... 5 WHOLE GALLONS that will sit there and take up space until you drink it.

Noone told me that kegging would have this downside to it damn it!
-Me

spices and fruit FTL

FTL? = Faster Than Light? Fat Tard Looser? Fun Tight Leila? Failure To Launch? Fruity Tooty Lubricant?

If your beer is making you angry you might as well switch to whiskey and really get your crank on.

The beverage of choice for murderers and sports writers the world over.

Whiskey, it's not just for breadfast anymore.

It must be the reminants of my sickness... Even this Rogue brown ale pissing me off with how it tastes too...

WTF?
-Me

This happens to me too. When I'm sick you want something to make you feel better, but your best brew at the moment seems blah. It gets so disappointing.

When this happens I have stepped up the apfelwein since I'm not into hard stuff. I am never disappointed with a nice glass of apfelwein unless I spill it accidentally.

I would suggest that you down a ton of water and load up multivitamins. Pick up some session micros to drink after you're feeling better.

I'm just starting to get sick myself, felt like crap last night and didn't even bother opening the my French Saison Bomber after dinner.

I'm gonna start doing the Zicam thing today. I can't stand being house bound and sick at this time of the year.

So with all of you- put winter warmer in growler, and spiced ale in big bomber... I just can't kick these kegs! With getting over this darn cold though, spiced ale is 'decent'... Winter warmer I'd be passed out by now (ended up a little strong)... I figure kick these I will feel better and can enjoy the rest even more (even though my buddies really enjoyed both, there's only so much one can take)... Come on Double IPA!

One thing I'm looking forward to with the quitting smiking is that I've heard things taste a lot better. If beer starts tasting much better then it does, then my hope is that cirrhosis feels like being tickled by wet puppy noses.

One thing I'm looking forward to with the quitting smiking is that I've heard things taste a lot better. If beer starts tasting much better then it does, then my hope is that cirrhosis feels like being tickled by wet puppy noses.

I dont know if I would say tastes better but I can taste little nuances that I couldn't before. Some I like some I dont like at all. A couple beers I like when I was smoking but I dont care for now.

That's why a lot of people that quit smoking gain weight!

BEWARE!!!! :p

I've been thinking about quitting smoking lately, since I'm the only real smoker left in my entire group. traitors all quit. :(

i really don't smoke enough to quit, tho. I smoke like 2-3 per night on average, although I've been known to put down a pack over the weekend. A bit of those are given to friends, tho, so I dunnoo....hrm...

EDIT: ya know...if i DO quit, i could probably make out with some girls previously unavailable...

Back