Priming sugar in keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boater29

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just bought a corny keg setup and I when I went to my homebrew store, I was told I didn't need the priming sugar if I was kegging. I have a wheat beer kit that I'm fermenting now and the directions say to use the sugar even if kegging. What does experience say?

Thanks!

If you use the priming sugar you'll give the yeast more fuel to make alcohol.

just thought I'd throw that in there. I've done both. Only 2 in kegs so far, but one naturally carbed and one forced. It will work either way.

I personally like naturally cabonating the kegs because it forces me to wait and let it age a little more.

So far I have kegged 3 beers. All three were primed, and they came out great. No harm in that. Although, if you want a clearer beer force carb. But on the other hand, wheat beers are cloudy anyway so I would prime and wait. Thats my $.02 :mug:

How long is the wait if you prime in a keg? 2 weeks enough?

That depends. If you set it at your serving pressure, two weeks should be fine. Some do the 30 psi and shake method, and it's ready in one day. Some do a combination of both- higher PSI for 3-4 days, and then serving pressure.

I've primed some when my kegger was full, and force carbed some. They all come out good!

There is a "FAQ" sticky in the top of this thread that really helps explain this, along with balancing the lines.

Since it's a Wheat, the chances are that the priming sugar was calculated into the recipe. I'd toss it in and use a little CO2 to seat the lid.

Back