Bottling wine w/ Star San

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corwin3083

Reaction score
Can I rinse my wine bottles with Star San as I do my beer bottles? I know beer yeast breaks down the small amount left after bottling; I'm just not sure if I can treat wine the same since there's no longer any fermentation going on.

If your StarSan is at 1x (properly diluted to its working concentration) then as you add your wine to the bottles it will be diluted out and no longer active.

I JUST got done bottling a blackberry wine using StarSan to sanitize the bottles.

I soak bottles in oxyclean and warm water overnight. Then I scrub the outsides with a sponge and rise with my garden hose. If I'm not delabling, I rinse the bottle out with very hot water a few times (I like to do this as I drink so the yeast doesn't get old and gross in the bottle).I let these dry and then store in closed boxes inside bags so they don't get dusty.
I sanitize with a squirt bottle of star san. Just squirt a few times into the bottles and around the rim.

Ocala bars wines

Can I rinse my wine bottles with Star San as I do my beer bottles? I know beer yeast breaks down the small amount left after bottling; I'm just not sure if I can treat wine the same since there's no longer any fermentation going on.

Yes, just let them 'drip dry'. Too much star san can increase the acidity of your wine, unbalancing the taste. I use both star san, and metabisulfite, depending on what I have on hand.

I do.

My method is a trash can full of hot soapy water, throw all your nasty bottles in and let em soak a bit, then scrub with a bottle brush, rinse the outside then use a jet washer on the inside 3-4 times with hot water. After that I transfer them to rubbermaid bins.

Then I have a pump sprayer ontop my bottle tree, I sanitize with a few pumps of star san and dip the ends of the bottles in star san and let them drain for about an hour. When I fill the bottles they are still a little damp.

Back