Always on tap at your house?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any recipe that you always keep around, either for yourself or for guests (these might well be different things)?

I have had great luck with BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde for most of my guests. I'm new to brewing, but so far I haven't found the perfect beer for me to keep on tap - I keep wanting to try different things.

Edit: also Apfelwein for the non beer drinkers.

No specific recipe. But my left tap always has a stout or porter and my right tap always has an IPA or pale ale. Anything different is in the 3rd keg and comes out of the picnic tap.

Yes, I like apple cider.

4 gallons apple juice, 2lbs light DME.

steep 12oz of crystal 10L and 1 oz torrified wheat at 155 for 30 mins in 1 gallon of water then discard grains.

Combine all ingrediants in the carboy and pitch nottingham yeast.

Best apple cider recipe so far. Lately I am seeing what amber DME and Dark DME will do.

I also have had centennial blonde on tap, i have found subbing the cascade for summit hops give it a tangerine taste. I prefer it that way.

Nope. I had IPA on tap from a brewpub, then I put on some Wit and there is some apfelwein there too, but my keg system is not quite complete, so that sits on the floor with a picnic tap, but really isn't being drank right now.

My problem is that I like beer that my beer-drinking friend does not enjoy, so I'm basically the only one who drinks it. I'm thinking about making a cascade pale ale like the point brewery version I tasted this weekend. Not as strong as an IPA, but still good hop flavor and lower alcohol. It's just yet another beer I have to choose from to brew next.

I usually have some sort of apfelwein variant on tap and now that I am getting into AG I plan to keep some sort of Scottish ale on tap at all times. About 1 week away from kegging Midwest's Scottish Light Ale. I'm still waiting on my AHS Scottish Session Ale to mellow, otherwise that would be on tap. It had peated malt in it and I don't think I am a fan of that.

I try to keep my "kolsch" recipe on tap all the time, but it disappears so quickly, and because of the cereal mash and high % adjuncts, its almost a PITA to brew... compared to some other brews that is...

Other than that, I try to stay somewhat seasonal with my other taps, but it all depends on what I feel like brewing/drinking next.

Basement left to right:
  • Tap #1 - IPA or IIPA (Right now a Stone Clone...up next a Pliny)
  • Tap #2 - Brown Ale (Mild or Northern, right now it's my "left nut ale")
  • Tap #3 - English Pale (Ordinary or Special Bitters)
  • Tap #4 - Haus APA - Ala Kona Fire Rock Pale Ale
  • Tap #5 - Munich Helles, Centennial Blonde or a Wit

Kitchen Two Tapper:
  • Left - Light Blonde for the SWMBO (2.9%)
  • Right - Soda Water :(

All I'm missing now is my strong ales so I'm bottling up my Dubbel and have a Wee Heavy on deck.

I don't have any particular recipes that I keep around, but I do have a list of criteria that, if possible, I like my current taplist to meet:

1.) Something light (in both color and gravity) and easy to drink
2.) Something dark
3.) Something strong
4.) Something hoppy
5.) Something fruity
6.) Something belgian

Sometimes one beer can fulfill more than one of those requirements. For instance, an IIPA will be both strong and hoppy, or an RIS strong and dark, witbier is belgian and light, etc. Sometimes a beer doesn't quite fulfill any of those requirements, like the red ale on nitro right now. It's still d*mn good.

The only thing on tap at my house is good ol h20...lol. I just bottle for now but I envision having to make the leap to kegging one of these days. So far people have enjoyed all the beers I have made. I am bottling my very first Apfelwine next weekend

I usually try to keep something light for visitors like BM's Blonde or Ed's Haus ale, then something a little darker or different for me, and of course apfelwine. Right now I have BM's Blonde, Ed's Stone clone and Yoopers Dead Guy. Got a keg of apfelwine waiting and a mild waiting on the next empty keg.

SD

I usually try to keep something light for visitors like BM's Blonde or Ed's Haus ale, then something a little darker or different for me, and of course apfelwine. Right now I have BM's Blonde, Ed's Stone clone and Yoopers Dead Guy. Got a keg of apfelwine waiting and a mild waiting on the next empty keg.

SD

Sounds like you got the bases covered. :rockin:

So many styles, so many recipes within the styles. I can't pick just three yet. Give me another year or so of brewing and I should have done most of the styles by then.

Coal Porter is up there. So is the IPA APA. After that.... depends on the choices I make before the next brewday.

Back