Malted Barley Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEPABREWER

Reaction score
This is the process used to make wort for whisky, why not try it for beer making?
Has anyone experimented with it? Or is there some reason this would be undesirable?
Or is it all "malted"

I was just reading my Scotch Whisky souvenir from last summer's trip and
thought hey why not?

I'm a little confused. All barely that you can mash is malted barley. Thats why the extract you buy is called "malt extract"

NEPABREWER said:
This is the process used to make wort for whisky, why not try it for beer making?
Has anyone experimented with it? Or is there some reason this would be undesirable?
Or is it all "malted"

I was just reading my Scotch Whisky souvenir from last summer's trip and
thought hey why not?

Yeah...it's all malted. Unmalted barley is essentially the stuff right off the stalk. The malting process is what makes it usable to brewers and distillers as a sugar source.

When making whisky, 'beer' is usually made first. They mash malted barley and corn. It is fermented with yeast from the previous batch that was from the previous batch, etc., in open top vessels. If you tour a distillery you can stick your fingers in a have a taste...tastes like gross beer (go figure). All the gross stuff is done with when it is distilled.

Back