Pizza Ale Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodstone

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, before you post, don't tell me this is a bad idea...I know already (but I like to try what I can't buy)!!!

:drunk:

Anyway, I've found a pizza ale recipe that is an amber ale with a bunch of pizza-type herbs/spices added in the boil.

I've Googled and there is apparently a commercial product that is AWFULL!

I don't want it to taste like pizza (awfull), but I want a subtle hint of savory flavor.

I was thinking of making a tea with sundried tomatoes and some herbs/spices...add to a commercial amber at different volumes, try, then run with a recipe that makes sense.

So my questions...anyone try something like this...what were the results...any thoughts on adjusting the ingredients (i.e., herbs/spices).

Original recipie includes the following for a 5G batch...

2 small cloves (not whole heads, please!) fresh minced garlic1 very small dried chili pepper (ancho, habañero, tabasco)20 or 30 fresh whole fennel seedsA pinch each of dried (not ground) oregano, basil, thyme. Other favoritepizza spices may be added.

THOUGHTS?

:confused:

Sounds random, but sometimes those are the best or at least most interesting. Go for it and post the results. What sort of hops you thinking of using?

Guys, here's the entire recipe...

2 lbs. two-row pale malt1 lb. amber malt (or brown malt)1 lb. medium crystal malt, 40° to 60° Lovibond4 lbs. unhopped amber dry malt extract1 oz. Willamette hop pellets (5% alpha acid), for 60 min.2 small cloves (not whole heads, please!) fresh minced garlic1 very small dried chili pepper (ancho, habañero, tabasco)20 or 30 fresh whole fennel seedsA pinch each of dried (not ground) oregano, basil, thyme. Other favoritepizza spices may be added.10 to 14 g. dry ale yeast or a liquid such as Wyeast 1056 (American ale)

One comment on the peppers.
I assume you will put it in the secondary...or after fermentation is done....
I have put peppers in beer before....Longer the beer sits, The "hotter" the pepper taste will be in the beer.

So just be carefull on how much peppers you put in.
Habenaro peppers at 1 month old....HOLY ***** Ya it burns a wee bit....
but if you are the kind of person who likes hot...Knock yerself out ;-)

Hope this helps a bit :mug: and good luck

Latest posts

Back