A little Apfelwein nostalgia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
SWMBO came across an old homebrew log book the other day when I got back into brewing after returning from living in beer heaven (Germany) and lo and behold, I found my first attempt at Apfelwein. Needless to say, it was a bust.

Pitching dry yeast into juice made from concentrate & spring water in a 50 degree ambient temperature basement did not work very well. :cross:

This was almost 14 years ago, so here's a shot of my original log.

1stApfelweinAttempt.jpg

I came up with the current recipe with my second attempt after a bit of research. The rest is Apfelwein history. :tank:

Did you still drink your first batch even tough it wasn't good?

Did you still drink your first batch even tough it wasn't good?

Nope, it was one of only 3 batched I have ever dumped since I started brewing in 87. It never took off fermenting and went straight to mold at that temp. Way too cold with Coopers Ale yeast.

I figured out that I would use bottled juice and add a wine yeast (Montrachet) at room temp upstairs and wait till it got going for a day or so before taking down to the basement.

I was born in 87. :)

Loving your apfelwein though. Literally the best thing i've ever brewed. I've got 2 batches going.

Dicky

Latest posts

Back