UGH! Another poor attenuation thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proofman

Reaction score
So far I have not hit the target FG for any beers. Usually pretty far off (7-10 points). I racked my nut brown ale to the secondary today (15 days in primary) and the gravity is 1.017 (OG 1.046). Target was 1.010. Fermentation had ceased. In the past I had used dry (Nottingham) and liquid (WLP0001 Cali ale) yeast and it has not gotten better. I check the temps in the morning when I get up and when I get home. Always ‘tween 66 and 70F. I strain my wort when I pour it into the fermenter. It aerates the s@#t out of it. produces a frothy foam. I top off with bottled ‘spring’ water. For the nut brown I poured the top off water through the strainer to aerate it more. I shook the fermenter for a minute, as well. I also used a starter this time. (1 cup pale DME, 2 cups of water. Started on Weds, pitched on Sat.) Styles have ranged from red ales, brown ales, porters, pale ales.

Any suggestions? The only thing else i can think of would be to get an air pump or to narrow the temp swing (I can’t see that being a problem with a 4 deg variation)?

I don’t think I’m being too anal (?), I just think I could make my beer better.

That's a tough one man, have you tried swirling it to resuspend the yeast? Maybe throw a little yeast nutrient in your boils from now on as well.

Are you doing AG? If so, mashing at higher temps (155-158) will cause more unfermentable sugars than lower temps (148ish-151/2/3ish)

Just a couple suggestions, you seem to be doing things right already though.

By swirling the yeast, do you mean stiring up the yeat that hare at the bottom, with a sanitized spoon, when it has stuck? On this last batch i did 'swirl' to get the yeast stuck to the side as i have read here.

How much yeast nutrient should I use for a 5 gallon batch?

I do extract. Could it be related to the extract I use? The best (of the worst)attenuation I have gotten so far was a combo if LME and DME. Everything esle since then has been all LME.

Is it worth getting an airpump?

Well, an air pump setup is not very expensive, but I'm not convinced that aeration is your problem.

Have the LME batches all been with the same brand of LME?

cweston said:
Well, an air pump setup is not very expensive, but I'm not convinced that aeration is your problem.

Have the LME batches all been with the same brand of LME?

nope. Coopers and whatever MoreBeer sells.

ARe you pitching one vial/packet? I had the same problem until I started using 2 packets of yeast. Now I have never missed a FG! Good luck.

It wouldn't hurt to make a larger starter next time. I would go with a 1 Liter starter with a 1/4 pound of DME for a 1.046 beer.

Latest posts

Back