Pump spent grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freeamerica

Reaction score
First post - so new to the forum, but not to brewing.

Currently setting up a new 15 gal all grain brewery in my basement. I've got all of the utilities, including exhaust, figured out but I'm struggling with how to deal with spent grain.

I've got a bad back so I'm trying to set everything up for minimal lifting. I can handle dumping spent grain, but hauling it up a flight of stairs doesn't sound fun. Yes, I could just scoop it into smaller buckets so they aren't too heavy, but why do that when I can add more cool equipment!:D

I've done lots of searching here and all over the 'net, and can't find anything, but I also can't imagine I'm the first to have this problem...

So if anyone else is using a pump to transfer spent grain, what are you using and how do you have it set up?

Thanks!

You would have to use something like a "trash pump" and probably flood the the mash tun. I really see it as an overly complex solution to a pretty basic problem.

Didn't think of trash/grinder pumps. Those are a bit overkill, but now that I have the idea, I'm going to research the marine/rv macerator pumps.

Yes, definitely a solution looking for a problem but sometimes that's ok...

I'm automating as much of the brewery as I can. Initially, I will be mostly manual operation, but I will have an industrial process controller installed before long. I have a compost pile and chicken coop just outside the side of the house where the brewery is located. Figured along with eliminating one more thing to lift, it would be pretty cool to just pump spent grain out to the compost pile or into the chicken coop. Press a button and everyone is happy!

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

Latest posts

Back