Using Corn Suger in a BASS Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPBISME

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a Bass Clone and I have looked at a few recipies.

MAIZE is a common ingredient from 10% to 30% percent of the ingredients.

I figure that it is lightening the body of the beer and giving it a "crisper" taste.

I am either going to do without it or use Corn Sugar to replace it because I have a few hundred pounds of grain (stored all over the place) and a number of pounds of Corn Sugar.

I want to use this stuff up and the only thing I plan to buy is YEAST.

So how much Corn Sugar would I use to replace a pound of maize… a link to a reference would be good.

After that I plan an all grain “Red Tail Ale” and “Fat Tire” Clone… It is getting to be brewing weather...

Maize has an extract potential of about 40 points per pound per gallon. At 75% efficiency, that would mean you would get about 30 pppg.
Corn sugar has a potential of 44 pppg and you will get 100% of this, so you should replace each pound of maize with 30/44 pounds of corn sugar, or about 11 oz.

-a.

Maize has an extract potential of about 40 points per pound per gallon. At 75% efficiency, that would mean you would get about 30 pppg.
Corn sugar has a potential of 44 pppg and you will get 100% of this, so you should replace each pound of maize with 30/44 pounds of corn sugar, or about 11 oz.

-a.

Thanks....

Back