Beginner question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpeebs

Reaction score
So I made a batch of Yukon scotch ale Monday, and it is fermenting in my basement right now. Had bubbles for 2 days. Check on it today and no bubbles. When I push gently on the lid, I do get bubbles though. Is there anything I'm doing wrong or should look out for? I had this with the first batch I made (this is my second) and the end result was still awesome. I also cracked the kid open to get a whiff and noticed there wasn't a whole lot if action going on inside; but I don't really know how much is supposed to be going on. Any suggestions help. Thanks!

+1, check the hydrometer. It will tell you what's going on in there. Bubbles in the airlock aren't really a reliable indicator of what's happening in the fermenter.

Two days isn't unreasonable for active fermentation to be over. I've had beers take anywhere from 2 to 7 days for the airlock to quiet down, and as long as 3 weeks for it to actually reach final gravity. If you're really worried, give it a week, then pull a sample and check with your hydrometer. That's the only way to know for sure what's going on. But I'd bet the really active fermentation is through, and the yeast are just working slowly through the last of the sugars and/or cleaning up after themselves. Just cause the airlock isn't bubbling doesn't mean its done.

Most likely everything is ok just let it sit for 3-4 weeks. I would recommend a starter for all beers you brew. This way you ensure yeast health, proper cell count, and usually quicker fermentation. Happy brewing!

jpeebs said:
Question about samples then: do i pour it back in after? Or dump it?

You better of dumping it or drinking it. Altho if you sanatized good you could put it back in. I would just drink it IMO. :)

Bubbles or no bubbles after 2-4 days the beer is not ready. An airlock is a vent to allow fermentation gasses to escape so you do not blow the lid off. Once active fermentation slows down so do the bubbles and if there is not enough gas to escape then there may be no bubbles!

Gravity readings are the only reliable measure of fermentation progress and I can pretty much assure you the beer needs more time. A general rule is 2 weeks minimum to achieve FG and clear beer. Most people go 3-4 weeks. So....... in another week check for FG, then check again 2 days later, if the same then FG is met, then leave the beer an additional week to clear.

Next batch, put the fermenter somewhere and leave it alone and stop watching bubbles! Find something better to do with your time:)

You better of dumping it or drinking it. Altho if you sanatized good you could put it back in. I would just drink it IMO.

Drink it. And leave your beer alone until the end of the week. Even if it's done, you won't want to move it just yet. Take a sample, record it, take another 3 days later. If they're the same, it's done...but more time will be best if you can wait.

duboman said:
Next batch, put the fermenter somewhere and leave it alone and stop watching bubbles! Find something better to do with your time:)

Always nice to see bubbles, but yes to what everyone said here step away the yeast know what there doing. It takes a bit of time patience is a vertue. Prost!

Back