aging . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumbaa

I prefer 23383
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So . . .
What kind of cheep, ez, and effective cheese caves have you guys come up with? Trying to figure out how i can do this and not screw up the fridge I use for kegs . . .

I'm looking at getting into cheese, and I was going to ask my cousin if I could use the basement of his cabin in the Adirondack's to age. I have to look into temps though. What are typical cheese aging temps?

45-58 degrees and between 80-98% humidity

The problem with a cave not at home is trying to turn the cheese over often enough

oddly enough about the same for curing meats (between 50-60 and 70-75%) . . . hmmmmmmm

Yeah, that would be a big problem considering he's 5 hours from me. I've also talked about going up there and brewing like 5 batches of beer, coming back two weeks later to rack into carboys, then lagering all winter in his basement.

I bought a Haier wine cooler for $25 clearance priced! It had two racks and kept an easy 48-50 degrees. To maintain the humidity, I put a small dish of water in it with a cloth to "wick up" the water. I have an ultra cheap temp/humidity gauge sitting in there. It was very small- about the size of a microwave, but I fit several wheels in there easily.

I bought a Haier wine cooler for $25 clearance priced! It had two racks and kept an easy 48-50 degrees. To maintain the humidity, I put a small dish of water in it with a cloth to "wick up" the water. I have an ultra cheap temp/humidity gauge sitting in there. It was very small- about the size of a microwave, but I fit several wheels in there easily.

about to buy a used wine cooler for this purpose... did u have to make any modifications and is there anything i should watch out for?

Also, what size did you go with? I see them starting at 4 bottles, but I think that would likely be too small.

I'm going to keep my eye on the craigslist free section for my locale and see what fridge/freezer/cooler might pop up.

I have one for fermenting, was thinking of doing the same thing but around the shelf I use in the basement to get me through the summer

Latest posts

Back