Bastardized Bock Ale - feedback please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrapinj

Reaction score
was going to brew a PA and ended up with more Munich than I had planned and figured the malt profile may be a little too much for a very hoppy beer. I did some looking around to see what I could use the grain bill with and saw that it's a little similar to the Rogue Dead Guy clones and decided to do something similar instead.

I don't have any Pearle (used in Rogue DG Ale) but have 1.4oz of NB leftover from a CalCommon I did. I also have about 3oz of Saaz and 6oz of Chinook as well as a few citrusy hops that i'd prefer to leave out

any feedback on the hop schedule is appreciated - I already have the grains milled and mixed so that can't really be changed at this point and yeast starter is going as I type

8 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 71.91 %
2 lbs 10.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 23.60 %
8.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.49 %

1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 25.4 IBU
0.40 oz Northern Brewer [8.00 %] (20 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [10.00 %] (10 min) Hops 5.8 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Chinook [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [Starter 2000 ml]

I plan on mashing around 154
Est OG 1.057 (70% efficiency)

I'd ditch the saaz, I don't think you'll be able to pick it out behind the chinook.

btw, I disagree that thats too much munich to do a hoppy PA

I mean it'll certainly be a bit more malty, and sticking with non-citrusy hops would probably work better, but I don't think it'd be a problem if you wanted to still. The northern brewer & chinook combo would be great, as would english or german varieties. If you search the site, people have done plenty of Vienna SMASH with good results.

Plus theres this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/biermunchers-outer-limits-ipa-87310/

oh wow - totally missed that recipe

thanks for the feedback and the link

i'll prob just go ahead and use the NB/Chinook this time but will def keep BM's recipe in mind for the future

Back