Change in Altitude

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josers

Reaction score
Will be driving with a batch from San Diego to Colorado Springs (apprx 6500ft) one week after bottling.

So from the thread I've already read, I gathered that the CO2 will come out of the beer more at higher altitude. My question is should i add more/less priming sugar to counter this effect?

Since the bottles will be sealed at sea level (or whatever altitude you live at) I would not worry about it. The only pressure that is going to be changing is the atmospheric pressure and since the bottle is a rigid container the internal pressure will be unaffected by the change in atmospheric pressure.

Upon opening the CO2 might fizz out a little more quickly but I wouldn't worry about it.

Since the bottles will be sealed at sea level (or whatever altitude you live at) I would not worry about it. The only pressure that is going to be changing is the atmospheric pressure and since the bottle is a rigid container the internal pressure will be unaffected by the change in atmospheric pressure.

Upon opening the CO2 might fizz out a little more quickly but I wouldn't worry about it.

The difference in pressure is about 3 psi at that altitude. I don't know how much this affects the rate at which you'll lose CO2 when you pop the bottle, but I can't imagine that AB or any big beer companies carbonate differently for different altitudes.

Back