Was thinking of brewing but with this heat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpalme

Reaction score
I'm not sure I could ever get the wort chilled down LOL.

What's interesting is with this heat I was able to bring about 11 gallons of water to a full boil by setting it out in the sun and letting the sun warm it up before starting up the burner.....

Took about 40 minutes with a good wind blowing to get it up.

I suppose now might be the time to get a wort chiller :)

They are pretty fun to make yourself.

A satisfying DIY project.

I was actually thinking of doing that but with the cost of copper reaching astronomical levels I was thinking of using aluminum or stainless but nobody around here carries them

I made mine out of 3/8" stainless...

We have a lot of scrap pieces of it at work and the bender. It's a bit none-traditional in the instead of the coils parallel with the kettle, mine run vertical up and down.

Seems to work alright, drops 5 gal from boil to 80F in 12min or so in 80degree weather.

Ground temp is pretty much always over pitch temp here too. I picked up a cheap sump pump from harbor freight, put ice water in my ice chest and pump that through my immersion coil. Would work the same with plate/counter flow chillers too. Not a new idea but it works pretty well.

1000 comedians out of work,etc.

Edit:I originally read it as the sun getting 11 gallons to a boil :)

I was actually thinking of doing that but with the cost of copper reaching astronomical levels I was thinking of using aluminum or stainless but nobody around here carries them

I ordered a stainless 50 ft chiller for the price I could have made one from copper. It looks much nicer too.

Back