What did I make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erock2112

Reaction score
So, my buddy wanted me to brew him a belgian wit for his birthday. I, being a bit stubborn and not wanting so much to conform to that style, decided I'd make one at a much higher gravity than is typical and leave out the coriander, orange, etc. (They can stick an orange slice in the glass if they want!) I also chose to use a belgian yeast. Here's my recipe:

6 Gallons, OG 1.070, FG 1.012

7 lb 2-row
6 lb White Wheat
1 lb Red Wheat
1 lb Flaked Oats
1 lb Gambrinus Honey Malt

.5 oz Magnum (12.1 AA) @ 60
.5 oz Willamette (5 AA) @ 60

Wyeast Trappist Ale

I did my first double decoction (which, by the way, was a heck of a lot of fun) - protein rest at 130, sacc rest at 154, mashout 170

3-week primary, beginning in the mid 60's and rising to the mid 70's after a few days. I'm just tasting it out of primary and I'm wondering what I've got here. It tastes a great deal more like a belgian strong or something than a wit, which is fine with me. I'm a little surprised at how little wheat I seem to taste, and the beer is close to crystal clear (no whirlfloc, fairly weak boil...). I also don't seem to really taste the honey malt - the yeast character sort of takes over everything (too-high ferm temps, or maybe I should've expected it from this yeast). The alcohol is pretty apparent, which is probably also due to ferm temp, in addition to the fact that it's pretty dry and 7.6% ABV. It's just been kegged, so I know it's not done changing yet. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the recipe.

3 pounds extra light DME
2 gallons apple juice (heated but not boiled. used to dissolve the DME)
1/2 gallon cranberry/concord grape juice
1/2 gallon strawberry/mixed fruit juice
1/2 gallon grape/pomegranate juice
1/2 gallon cranberry/pomegranate juice
A few glugs of lemon juice
Safale US 05 yeast
4 pureed bananas (into secondary)

Well carbed and tart.

What-is-it? whatisit?

So after a few weeks in the keg, the hot alcohol has calmed down a bit. There's a lot of banana, which hasn't mellowed out much. This one is only ok. If I brew it again, I'll probably use a different yeast, and watch the ferm temperatures more closely.

Back