Beerswap 2007- Yooperchick's Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I sent the same beers to Vermicous, fiddup_is_a_middup and Brewtopia with DG and I on the caps. Pumbaa got a DG and a W on his caps (IIRC he doesn't like hoppy beers) because I wanted someone to have a try of the Wicked clone.

The DG is my Dead Guy clone. According to Rogue's website, this beer is supposed to be a "maibock style ale". So, it doesn't really fit into any recognized style- maybe American Amber? It was an mini-mash brew, fermented at 60 degrees using pacman yeast. OG was 1.066 and it finished at 1.018. There is some residual sweetness in there. I've posted the recipe in the database I believe.

The I is the IPA recipe that I stole from Walker. The recipe is posted around here somewhere. I followed his recipe exactly, and yeast american ale yeast #1056. I dry-hopped for 10 days with one ounce of cascade. The ABV is 7.1%.

The W is a Pete's Wicked Ale clone mini mash.
Recipe:
1/2 lb Vienna Malt
1/2 lb Crystal 60L
1 3/4 lb 2-row
1/4 lb chocolate malt
5 1/2 LME (Pale)
1 oz Brewers Gold (60 minutes)
1/2 oz EKG (15 mins)
Used American Ale yeast with a starter.
OG was 1.050, f.g. was 1.012

I hope you guys like the beers!

I liked the format that Evan! used so I'm incorporating it here. Thanks Evan!

This is a review of Yooper's Dead Guy Clone. I decided to try it along side a Dead Guy that I picked up at Rogue Issaqauh Brewhouse this afternoon.

Pour:
Nice Pffft upon opening. Poured in a footed snifter down the middle of the glass and ended up with about a 1/4 inch head. Poured the genuine Dead Guy exactly the same way with the same result. The head on the clone dissapated slightly quicker than the genuine Dead Guy but not by much.

Visual:
Color was spot on Dead Guy Ale! Nice job Lorena. Perhaps just a slight chill haze but nothing to distract from the appearance.

Aroma:
Some apple/pear notes in the nose with just a touch of floral hop aroma which came out more as it warmed.

Palate:
Some malt up front leading into the flavor of the floral hops noted above. It is drier than Dead Guy which I prefer.

Proximity to Traditional Styles:
It was nice to try this along side Dead Guy. It was extremely close in color and appearance, drier in the palate and not as sweet.

Overall:
Very nice job Lorena. I actually prefered your clone to the genuine Dead Guy Ale. Dead Guy is too sweet for me and the drier palate and slightly hoppier finish made yours a much more enjoyable beer. I only wish I had another.

I've included a couple of pictures. Genuine Dead Guy is on the left, Yooper's clone on the right.

DG 001.jpg
DG 002.jpg

Great comparison! Good job Yooper! You betcha, dontcha know!

(I love Escanaba in da Moonlight)

Brewtopia said:
This is a review of Yooper's Dead Guy Clone. I decided to try it along side a Dead Guy that I picked up at Rogue Issaqauh Brewhouse this afternoon.

Thanks for posting the review and pictures of Yooper Chicks Dead Guy clone. I have a batch in secondary that I brewed using the same recipe, except I used the Wyeast 1338 instead of the Pacman. I am curious to see how mine will compare with your review and the original.

IPA

Pour:
Slight Pfffft upon opening. Not as much as the Dead Guy clone but carbonation level was right on. Poured down the middle of a footed snifter and ended up with a good tight, thick 1" head.

Visual:
Beautiful clear reddish, amber hue.

Aroma:
Some malt but dominated by a floral hop aroma. Very pleasing.

Palate:
Great body. Silky mouthfeel with spicy, floral, piney hop flavors up front, perfectly balanced with the carmel sweetness of the malt. Citrus hop flavors in the finish.

Proximity to Traditional Styles:
An excellent IPA.

Overall:
This is a great balanced IPA! Tons of hop flavor but plenty of malt to back it up. I could drink a few of these. I have really enjoyed your beers Lorena. Keep up the good work.

I 001.jpg

I 002.jpg

Dead Guy

Pour:

Good head, nice and thick.

Visual:

Almost exactly like dead guy. A lovely amber.

Aroma:

A heavy malt nose, very little hop aroma.

Palate:

Heavy malt flavour, light hop bitterness. Less malt than Dead guy, but Dead guy is too sweet for me anyway.

Style:

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but Dead guy is an excellent example of an EPA. The clone nails it as well, perhaps a little better than Dead guy.

Overall:

I don't like many EPA's. This one I like. Very pleasant to drink and well-balanced. I think I don't like many EPA's because of the balance tends to be a little heavy towards malt. As I finish typing this, I realize the beer is already gone, very quaffable.

Last night I had the IPA with my new drinking buddy.

Pour:

A very thick and long-lasting head. My glass may have been too warm and the beer too cold, in any case there wasn't much of a carbonic acid bite. It was probably my glass, took a little while before I could sample. My buddy did not really care what I was doing at the time and could offer no other input.

Visual:

A deep golden/amber, I'll have to check the recipe for specialty grains or if this was an extract recipe, a little darker than I expected. My buddy can't really focus at all yet and may still see in black and white, but did seem to smile when she saw the glass.

Aroma:

Beautiful aroma, lot's of fruit with the barest hint of grass. When was this beer brewed? My buddy took a whiff and sneezed, the aroma was strong.

Palate:

Good mouthfeel, I will have to look up the recipe because my IPA's never come close to this. I personally prefer a little more malt, but it was still pretty well balanced. This may be more of a reflection that I am used to East coast IPA's over West coast. My buddy did not sample, the fear of child services is strong within me.

Style:

Very good example of a mild West coast IPA. I only say mild because so many West coast IPA's are over the top. My buddy really appreciated seeing this beer since anything other than the Sierra Nevada Celebration is near impossible to find in this area.

Overall:

I love IPA's and am just starting to appreciate those with American hops. Very enjoyable, I am going to have to research something along these lines for my own.

Dead Guy

Pour:
slight Pfffft, nice head, laced well retention was great, even held up the the gyro I'm eating

Visual:
great color, slight chill haze but I like chill haze.

Aroma:
My nose works for crap anymore but nice malt aroma with a bit of hop follow up.

Palate:
Great body. flavor is spot on for what I would expect from a maibock style ale. Malty with a nice hop finish and a dryness wouldnt have expected

Overall:
This is the kind of beer that makes me remember why I love beer. Fantastic job and I got to use "Nice Head" and great body" in reference to Lorena in 1 post :) This is a dangerous beer. I could swill it very easily. 1 bottle isnt enuff.

Wicked

Pour:
slight Pfffft, great head, laced well not as well as the DG, retention was ok

Visual:
nice dark color, slightly tan head

Aroma:
My nose works for crap (again) very faint armoma

Palate:
Great body. low malt flavor big floral finish, definetly more hoppy then malty

Overall:
This is a beer I cold sit and nurse all night long and still have a feeling I was drinking a good beer. Not as dangerous as the DG but still a very nice beer

**EDIT**
this beer is really starting to grow on me . . . GDI Lorena ya only sent me the 2 >.<

Vermicous said:
Style:

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but Dead guy is an excellent example of an EPA. The clone nails it as well, perhaps a little better than Dead guy.

Overall:

I don't like many EPA's. This one I like. Very pleasant to drink and well-balanced. I think I don't like many EPA's because of the balance tends to be a little heavy towards malt. As I finish typing this, I realize the beer is already gone, very quaffable.

Dead Guy is a maibock.

Just wanted to take this opportunity to chime in on that and mention how much I have enjoyed reading all the brewers notes and tasters reviews in this section of the forum. Excellent stuff!

brewt00l said:
Dead Guy is a maibock.

Just wanted to take this opportunity to chime in on that and mention how much I have enjoyed reading all the brewers notes and tasters reviews in this section of the forum. Excellent stuff!

Thanks for chiming in. I like reading the notes, too. I've read them all, and sometimes I drool.

The Dead Guy is really in a class by itself- as even its website says it is a "maibock style ale". Well, there is no such thing! A maibock is a lager. I used the pacman yeast and fermented it at 60 degrees and kept the secondary at 60 degrees. So, I thought of it as just an American Amber until Vermicous said "EPA". If I were going to enter it in competition, I think it would have to be Amber ale because I used non-English hops. But style-wise I believe it is an EPA.

Yooper Chick said:
Thanks for chiming in. I like reading the notes, too. I've read them all, and sometimes I drool.

The Dead Guy is really in a class by itself- as even its website says it is a "maibock style ale". Well, there is no such thing! A maibock is a lager. I used the pacman yeast and fermented it at 60 degrees and kept the secondary at 60 degrees. So, I thought of it as just an American Amber until Vermicous said "EPA". If I were going to enter it in competition, I think it would have to be Amber ale because I used non-English hops. But style-wise I believe it is an EPA.

True, maibock is a lager and dead guy is an ale. I can kinda see the association with an EPA 'cept I typically associate more fruity estery elements with an EPA and a different malt profile than what a dead guy presents.

Either way, good beer is good beer and it sounds like you made a great one from all accounts...congrats!

Dead Guy Clone

Appearance: Nice Pour, Amber in color, and slightly cloudy (I didn't give it much time to settle after it arrived) Good Head Retention. Good Carbonation.

Aroma: Slightly Fruity, with floral notes. Very Pleasant.

Taste: Tastes is mildly fruity, mildly sweet and mildly bitter. Great over all flavor. Nice Medium Body

Overall I have never had Rouge's Dead Guy, so I didn't know what to expect. If you clone is accurate, I need to buy some. I really enjoyed this beer. Well balanced and good drinkability. Well done!!!

I've never had Dead Guy before (and clearly never had Yooper's), but damn! That color is spot-on. Well done!

IPA

Appearance: Pfffft. Nice Pour, Amber, and slightly cloudy (again I didn't give it much time to settle after it arrived) Good Head Retention. Good Carbonation.

Aroma: Strong hop aroma, but not overbearing.

Taste: Great hop flavor, nice bittering.

Overall I really enjoyed this IPA. It's a little sweeter than most IPA's I've had, but really well balanced. I couldn't find the recipe for this one, but I would love to have it. Thank you Lorenea. Well done!!!

fiddup_is_a_middup said:
I couldn't find the recipe for this one, but I would love to have it. Thank you Lorenea. Well done!!!

Thanks for the nice reviews, guys! The IPA recipe is in Walker-san's signature. Here is the link: http://digitalninja.org/beer/kaduva_ipa.html He also posted an AG version, so I'll have to try that one too sometime.

I did not use gypsum in my water, but otherwise I followed it pretty closesly. I used cascade instead of chinook for bittering, though. The other hops were all mixed together and then divided into 7 additions, then put it every 5 minutes. I see that he's changed the recipe slightly (8 additions now, since he added a 35 minute one). I divided the hops into 7, and started adding then at 30 minutes. Dry hopped for a week or so with fresh cascade hops.

I have in in Beersmith if you need it emailed to you, just pm me.

We need to thank Walker for doing all the work developing the recipe- I just followed the directions!

Evets said:
I did the AG version recently. I'll be bottling it this weekend. Really looking forward to this one.

I also did the AG version and bottled this past Sunday. This is why we need recipe counters. :)

Back