All cascade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doing one soon...CascAadePA.....looking forward to it. There is all cascade APA in the recipe database it is for 10g.

i've done two or three golden ales with just a single large hop addition of cascades at 15 mins with some thrown in at flameout (20g) for aroma, they have had the right amount of bittering even from the 15 mins because of the large amount used (80g of 6.8 % in 5 U.K. gallons) and masses of flavour and aroma, they have went down a storm.

I've also done Eds Haus ale with cascade and its a cracker too.

Go for it i say :ban:

Since everyone has experience here, what is a good amount to add for a good cascade flavor. I am trying to build this around a strong Cascade flavor, adding enough at 60min to bring it to the low 30 IBUs, and whatever I have left over for aroma.

I have:
1 oz pellet
2 oz whole leaf
both at 6.9% AA

My Drunkensatyr Pale Ale is all cascade. 4 additions, counting the dry hop. LOVE the citrus taste and smell !!! If you look in my freezer, there are about 40 bags of hops, and I would say that at least 20 of em are cascade *grin*

cheezydemon said:
I would throw all but .5 oz of the whole in for 60 min and dry hop the rest. We are talking 5 gallons right?

Yeah 5 gallons.

I am confused about what are you saying .5oz of whole at 60, dry hop the rest? Or all but .5oz at 60 min, dry hop .5oz? No flavor additions? I definitely want flavor addition, might sip the 60 min addition all together.

I did an all Cascade pale ale (about 1.056 OG) that had 2 oz whole leaf at 60 minutes. 1 oz at 30 minutes and 1 oz at 15 minutes. I dry hopped with 2 ozs for 14 days. It was very tasty.

ok my latest IPA and voted in top five of IPA lovers I have shared with. Here is a basic recipe.
10 # pale grain
2# crystal 20
mashed at 152 for 60 min ( I would next batch mash at 158 and let cool in the 60 min to 150

hops: 1 oz 60, 1 oz 30, 1 oz flameout filtered through 1/2 whole cascade into fermentor. dry hopped secondary 1 oz pellets. then seeped 1/2 oz in bottling sugar (3/4 cup with about .75 qt water for 10 min. Then siphoned through another .25 oz of whole cascade hopes into bottling bucket.

I cannot touch how good this was recieved by IPA lovers. It is MY favorite, but hey I am biased. Next batch will have 2 whole oranges cut into 1/4's in the secondary. Let you know how it goes.

Prost to IPA's and especially anything with cascades in it.

The Mirror Pond PA is all Cascade. I did a clone of it recently and it came out terrific.

Wild

Beerrific said:
Since everyone has experience here, what is a good amount to add for a good cascade flavor. I am trying to build this around a strong Cascade flavor, adding enough at 60min to bring it to the low 30 IBUs, and whatever I have left over for aroma.

I have:
1 oz pellet
2 oz whole leaf
both at 6.9% AA

Throw in the 1 0z of pellet and also 1 and a quater ounces of whole hops with 15 mins to go.
Throw in the remaining 3 quarters of an ounce of whole hops at flameout.

With a typical 1050 wort this will give you 31 IBUs and masses and masses of cascade flavour, and also a decent amount of aroma from the flameout addition. Sounds like this is exactly what you are looking for ie lots of cascade flavour, try it, you won't be dissapointed.

delboy said:
Throw in the 1 0z of pellet and also 1 and a quater ounces of whole hops with 15 mins to go.
Throw in the remaining 3 quarters of an ounce of whole hops at flameout.

With a typical 1050 wort this will give you 31 IBUs and masses and masses of cascade flavour, and also a decent amount of aroma from the flameout addition. Sounds like this is exactly what you are looking for ie lots of cascade flavour, try it, you won't be dissapointed.

When I do the calculations this comes out to closer to 29 IBUs. But I can fix that.

So is 15 minutes the best boil time for flavor?

How much do I need to add at flame out or dry hop to get best aroma? Is there much difference in aroma if added at flame out vs. dry hop? I was think of skipping the dry hop if there is not advantage over adding it at the end of the boil.

Btw, thanks for you input, much appreciated.

I bought 2 pounds of cascade from a friend a while back for next to nothing. Since then, I've used only cascade for every batch. I have had nothing but success. While I would normally use other varieties, 2 pounds goes a long way. I use promash to figure how much to use in order to get the right IBUs. They are a good all around hop that can be used for just about any brew or any purpose. For most batches I use somewhere around 2 ounces for the whole boil (5 gal). Then depending on the style, I add smaller amounts at the end for finishing. I've made pale ales, IPAs and stouts using nothing but cascade. I usually keg a week after brewing and 5 gallons is usually gone two weeks after that, (neighbors) so it must be ok.

Beerrific said:

Yes--hops flavor is mostly extracted in boil times of about 10-20 minutes. If the boil time is a little more or less, you'll get some flavor, but mostly bitterness (for longer boil times) or aroma (for shorter boil times).

How much do I need to add at flame out or dry hop to get best aroma? Is there much difference in aroma if added at flame out vs. dry hop? I was think of skipping the dry hop if there is not advantage over adding it at the end of the boil.

An ounce is a fairly standard amount for aroma or dry hopping. You can certainly use more for a more over-the-top effect. You do get a slightly different effect from the two, but it's the same basic thing. You could eliminate dry hopping if you're interested in KISS. That'll also generally increase your final yield a little, since lose some volume to hops absorbtion and/or trub if you dry hop.

I have been thinking about pouring my cooled wort over a oz or 2 of whole hops going in to the primary. I havent done it yet so I cant realy recomend it but it could be worth a try, it would be like a hop back

Beerrific said:
When I do the calculations this comes out to closer to 29 IBUs. But I can fix that.

Btw, thanks for you input, much appreciated.

This way of hopping heavy at 15 mins with no 60 min addition might seem a bit strange at first sight, i think thats because it is something that only really homebrewers/craftbrewers would bother with.
Most people brewing commercially would go for the more efficent use of bittering early in the boil to extract the most IBUs for thier buck. By doing it this way you lose out on hop bittering efficency but since when was homebrewing about saving a few pence on hops.
The other reason this might not appeal to the big breweries other than cost is that most people are not used to this amount of hop flavour in a beer and so it would be a niche and expensive product for them to produce.

If i was doing it i'd stick with the flame out addition, but order some more cascades (you can't go wrong having some cascades in the fridge/freezer to throw into a recipe etc). By the time they have been delivered/bought the initial vigorous fermentation will probably have ceased and you can have a taster and decide if you want to up the aroma even more by dry-hopping :)

PS This way of hopping was recommended to me by someone who is studying brewing at uni, so i trusted them, i'm glad i did :) .

Beerrific said:

OK So I did something wrong with that calculation.

Here's what I have:
US Cascade 6.9%AA
1.0 oz Pelletized Hops 20 Min From End
1.5 oz Loose Whole Hops 20 Min From End
0.5 oz Loose Whole Hops At turn off

Total of 39 IBUs. OG is 1.050

I think this is what I was looking for.

I will decide on dry hopping later.

theres quite a few micro brews out there that are all cascade

I was wanting to use some of my older hops so I chose to use the nugget and cascade at the 60".

I was curious about bittering with two different hops. I may have just wasted an ounce of cascade...but they were at least six months old and I thought what the hell.

Does anyone know if sealing hops (flower) in zip lock bags work or will they be stale? Even though the hops were old the flowers were sticky and aromatic, so I chose to use them. Even stale homebrew is better than macro.

fat.sam said:
I was wanting to use some of my older hops so I chose to use the nugget and cascade at the 60".

I was curious about bittering with two different hops. I may have just wasted an ounce of cascade...but they were at least six months old and I thought what the hell.

Does anyone know if sealing hops (flower) in zip lock bags work or will they be stale? Even though the hops were old the flowers were sticky and aromatic, so I chose to use them. Even stale homebrew is better than macro.

If they were sealed, sticky and aromatic (and stored cold) i think they were good to go.

They were about as sealed as a zip lock gets, so I'm not too worried about it. I just wonder how the cascade and the nugget interact. It's an experiment in beer, frickin cool. what a great hobby.

Thanks for the responses.

One of our local brew pubs makes a beer called Hopalicious with all cascade.
"HOPALICIOUS American Pale Ale
HOPALICIOUS
Eleven separate additions of cascade hops give this American pale ale its lush citrus aroma and bold hop flavor without crazy bitterness."

I had one last night and it was quite good. Nice hop aroma and taste without the bitterness of an IPA.

Here's the link:
http://www.aleasylum.com/cms/index.php?option=com_beerontap&id=3&Itemid=1

Cascade definitely is the most popular hops in the US. I was listening to the interview basicbrewing.com did with the guy from freshops and he said that's what they sell the most of, by a long margin. Personally, I can't wait until someone get's a hold of an Amarillo rhizome!

EdWort said:
My Haus Ale uses 2 oz. of Cascade and no other hops, so have at it.
Ed, I'm brewing 10 gallons of your HausAle next weekend. I just got my one pound bag of Cascade yesterday.

By the way Ed, this is the color that Beersmith shows with your recipe. A bit
lighter than your pic. Does this seem right? I know my photos are always darker.

PS - My Nierra Sevada has the Cascade additions starting at 15 minutes, then 10, then at flameout and the cascade citrus really is pleasant.

HausAleColor.jpg

Back