How do commercial wineries/meaderies degas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inflames

Reaction score
Very curious about this. Its easy on a small scale but how do they do this on a large scale with out aging?

how do you vacuum or agitate at a large scale? I've searched the web and have a hard time trying to find out.

open a bottle of Yellowtail, Carlo Rossi, Arborcrest, or Charles
Shaw and you'll see they don't worry about it much :)

If I had to guess, I would say large vacuum pump. It would be the least labor intensive option that an operation would use. Stirring would require manpower, which costs time, money, and something touches the wine. With vacuum at least, you could flip a switch and let it run till it was dry if you wanted.

lol no way in hell would any commercial winery use man power to degass their wine, the fermentation vessels are 2000 gallons each and you need a ladder to get to the top of them

Maybe the bulk of the gas escapes during the oak barrel aging? Not hard to immagine they can mechanically stir it up whilst its in secondary in those big steel towers, too?
Just my noob guess.

Back