Nuclear Carboy??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouisianaVince

Reaction score
OK, I finally got a carboy, thanks to a kind-hearted soul in the local brew club. Curious about the markings on it, I did a Google search for NRC M 3008 and the word Carboy. Some of the responses from Google had to do with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission's (NRC) use of carboys for disposal of radioactive waste. So, is there any way to know if this particular carboy was intended for or used for such a purpose?

This may be a ridiculous question, so feel free to ridicule me if I have it coming. But go easy on me...I'm still new to this. I just don't want to end up looking like this guy :fro: after brewing in the thing!

Jim Karr said:
Do you know anyone who has or has access to a Geiger counter? If there's no radiation, you're probably OK.

Thanks, Jim. I don't, right off hand. But I have a daughter taking Chemistry in high school right now. Her teacher may have one. I'll check!

If your beer glows, don't drink it.

I would make a label out of the biohazard symbol just for fun though.

We never used glass carboys for any purpose while I was a nuke, just bright yellow plastic ones with the magenta 'ruptured goose' on the side. Some of our testing equipment was glass, but nothing larger than a 100 ml beaker. Even small sample bottles were plastic.

It's possible, but very unlikely that your carboy was intended for nuclear use. However, even if it had been used any radioactivity present is far more likely to be part of the original glass.

A local university or community college would likely have a Geiger counter but most of the affordable models are fairly good at detecting high energy beta-particles like phosphorous-32 and not so go for weak emitters like Sulfur-35, C-14. Gamma-radiation is a whole different story. Also, depending if there was a "nuke" in it and what isotope it may have already decayed an no longer be radioactive. We had a guy in the lab who had to wait 142 days before his shoes were no longer radioactive...........the shoes were $180 Italiano thingamagigs. He didn't want to toss them in the rad. trash.

runhard said:
A local university or community college would likely have a Geiger counter but most of the affordable models are fairly good at detecting high energy beta-particles like phosphorous-32 and not so go for weak emitters like Sulfur-35, C-14. Gamma-radiation is a whole different story. Also, depending if there was a "nuke" in it and what isotope it may have already decayed an no longer be radioactive. We had a guy in the lab who had to wait 142 days before his shoes were no longer radioactive...........the shoes were $180 Italiano thingamagigs. He didn't want to toss them in the rad. trash.

Good info (from all of you, in fact, and some funny, too). I just wanted to mention to Runhard that I have a sister and brother-in-law in Buda, TX. Wow...small world!

LouisianaVince said:
Wow...small world!

Yup and Buda is definitely small town. If you ever visit your sister and brother-in-law just give me a holler and we'll have whatever is on tap in the beer fridge in the garage.

runhard said:
Yup and Buda is definitely small town. If you ever visit your sister and brother-in-law just give me a holler and we'll have whatever is on tap in the beer fridge in the garage.

Thanks for the offer. I'll take you up on that if I get out that way!

I had a brain fart, if your local fire department has a hazmat group, those guys would definitely have a Geiger counter. I bet if you promised them some homebrew they'd scan you carboy for you. Just another idea.

runhard said:
I had a brain fart, if your local fire department has a hazmat group, those guys would definitely have a Geiger counter. I bet if you promised them some homebrew they'd scan you carboy for you. Just another idea.

And, another good one! Thanks. I'm leaning toward sanitizing the heck out if, brewing, and seeing what happens. Hey, may as well live dangerously, right? Besides, I'm pretty sure the guy who gave it to me used it as a fermenter before, and he doesn't glow. It just dawned on me that I ask him!

I grabbed a 6.5g glass carboy that was sitting in the basement of my grandfather's house years and years ago...I was never sure what it had been used for or what had been in it so I cleaned it 100 times and then sanitized it another 100 before use.

After reading this post, I check it and it too is stamped with NRC, etc.

Great, thanks for adding to my stress. :eek:

If the carboy's been floating around, I doubt that it was used for radioactive material storage...even containers would be highly regulated and would have been destroyed or certified clean after use.

No really, I've been fine. :D

I don' t know anything about the NRC markings, but when I worked at a nuke plant in Ohio back in the 1980s, I took home three glass carboys by the water cooler that were empty. Hope they were used for drinking water and not radioactive waste. I never considered scanning with an AN-PDR45!

StephenK1957 said:
I don' t know anything about the NRC markings, but when I worked at a nuke plant in Ohio back in the 1980s, I took home three glass carboys by the water cooler that were empty. Hope they were used for drinking water and not radioactive waste. I never considered scanning with an AN-PDR45!

Well, if anything falls off after I drink beer I brew in it, I'll let y'all know!

Make sure that you drink lots so you pee fast! Get that stuff through your system as fast as possible!

I just bought a new 6.5 gal carboy from my LHBS a few weeks ago. When i saw this post, I thought I'd check just for the hell of it and low and behold "NRC M-3800" right smack on the bottom.
Now, I'm pretty sure (at least I hope) they aren't hocking old carboys from a nuclear waste dump, but I just kegged my first batch out of that carboy, so I'll let you know if I turn into Radioactive Man pretty shortly.

For a true test I may throw some potting soil in it along with some tomato and tobacco seeds and see if I get Tomacco.

But I'm pretty sure we're worry free here. "Relax, Have a radioactive homebrew"

Correct me if i'm wrong but would'nt a bleach and water solution wash away radioactivity? I seem to remember when I was in the Coast Guard that we learned that we could wash down the ship or people in the event we took radiation. David 42 any comments?

I know this is an old bumped thread but if you clean the carboy well it will be fine. Even if something has nuclear waste in it, that doesn't make the object it touches radioactive. Unless the carboy was in the reactor of course :) It has to be hit by neutrons to become radioactive itself.

I've been doing some digging, evidently this urban legend has been floating around the brewing community forever. Besides Nuclear Regulatory Commision, NRC also stands for the NATIONAL RESEARCH COUNCIL

And NRC in packaging terms according to the TricorBraun Corporation whose website says they are;

TricorBraun is the industry leader in the design and supply of innovative rigid packaging solutions. We supply glass and plastic bottles, regular and dispensing closures, sprayers, and other packaging components.

According to their glossary of terms;

NRC

(1) Mandatory embossing on the bottom of steel shipping containers indicating an un-reusable container. (2) Also used to indicate any non-reusable container. (3) A container, often required to be marked NRC, whose re-use is restricted by one or more regulatory agency.

You may not realize it but if you turn over many commercial plastic water jugs, they often say "Not for re-use" on them, in fact, on here, about a year ago, someone bought a better bottle online from one of the web LHBS...It WAS a better Bottle, complete with the label we all know and love, BUT it had the words "Not For Reuse" stamped on the bottom.

He contact Better Bottle directly and it turned out that since they now, in the wake of the BPA recalls for plastic bottles, they have been making many water jugs for Spring Water Companies, and by law, the ones made for drinking water have to have the "Not for Reuse" etching on the bottom along with the recycle codes. It's the same chemical composition, the exact same bottle as the brewing ones, but they have to have the ones for water stamped thusly.

And evidently someone mixed up the lines and a few "water" BB's were sent to Lhbs.

More than likely, since, in the old days of 20 years ago or more, the spring water companies, like culligan and absopure, still delivered water in glass carboys they were bound by whatever federal regulations still require plastic water carboys to carry similar codes.

And since very few companies still deliver water in GLASS carboys, we brewers and winemakers have now access to tons of these things. And probably the Eruopean and Mexican makers of these things today (since no Us company makes them, and I think only France does now) they probably are still required to have them labeled as such if the are imported to the states (but that's just conjecture, it may only be those trasported for WATER and Maybe even the dairy industry if they use them.)

A little common sense here folks....it is very very very unlikely that anyone would use GLASS CARBOYS to hold ANYTHING RADIOACTIVE IN IT.....Things such as that are usually store in LEAD LINED VESSEL to Prevent radiation from escaping.

Carboys are still used in research these days, and usually hold acids and other chemicals, and those are probably bound by NRC labelling as well from either the NATIONAL RESEARCH COUNCIL, or may have the Packaging Code NRC as indicate by the packaging code for NON REUSABLE CONTAINER. But not anything that can make us glow in the dark....

Geez, folks, a 10 minutes of googling, especially DEEP into google, past all the conjecture like this thread is quite helpful for actually learning things, dontjaknow....

Oh yeah it's much easier to conjecture and catastrophize then it is to actually do some digging for yourself.

:rolleyes:

Revvy, you're like Mythbusters for brewers. Thanks for taking the time to search this stuff out.

Revvy, There you go killing a funny thread.
Good information though.
But what if my carboy was imported from Iran or North Korea?
I was just looking for the "Nukem" labels, or maybe an informational on beer is the cure for radiation poisoning.
Just picturing a green glowing ghost of Billy Mays.

Revvy, There you go killing a funny thread.
Good information though.
But what if my carboy was imported from Iran or North Korea?
I was just looking for the "Nukem" labels, or maybe an informational on beer is the cure for radiation poisoning.
Just picturing a green glowing ghost of Billy Mays.

Actually, we are lead to believe that the green beer we drink on St. Patty's Day is just green food coloring.....But those of us in the loop, really know the truth.

St. Pat's day is really a fake holiday created by the brewing industry to unload all those gallons of irradiated beer brewed in either NRC carboys OR with water from chernobyl.

greenbeer.jpg

;)

Yea but think about how big your pee stream will be towards the end, just before your junk dissolves away completely.

The Federal Register explains the embossings on 1M glass carboys:

http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/PHMSA/DownloadableFiles/Files/Federal%20Register%20Historical%20Files/44fr__1979/44fr-14194.pdf

§178.17~6 Markings.
(c) Except for Specification 1D glass carboys marked in accordance with the following markings must be embossed on the bottom of each carboy:

(1) DOT-1M;
(2) NRC;
(3) Year of manufacture; and
(4) Registration number (M****) of the manufacturer.

NRC stands for non-reusable container. The manufacturer number will not tell you the contents - just who physically made the carboy. I bought a 7.5 gallon M3008 at a garage sale for $3 and just cleaned/rinsed it in several stages before using the first time: B-Brite soak/scrub/rinse/rinse, bleach solution soak/rinse/rinse/rinse/rinse, idophor.

Back