most hops you've ever put in a 5 gallon batch of single ipa?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebamaking

Reaction score
Sorry i couldn't be a little more specific in the title of this post. i was in particular wondering how much hops any of yall have used in around a 7 percent ipa for a 5 gallon batch. i think i might have just made hop tea with alcohol...:ban:

that's good to know...i planned on dry hopping it also that's mainly why i asked this question...here's the recipe i just tried...

7 lb organic 2-row
1 lb cara-pils
3 lb extra light dme

2 oz chinook 60 min
.5 oz amarillo 45 min
.5 oz centennial 25 min
.5 oz ahtanum 25 min
.5 oz ahtanum 15 min
1.5 oz amarillo 7 min
1.5 oz centennial 5 min

california ale yeast wlp001

i was gonna dry hop with 1 oz amarillo, 1 oz centennial, and 1 oz chinook

That sounds pretty good!

The most hops I've ever used was 6 oz. Unfortunately, that batch was one of my failures at all grain brewing so I don't know how it tasted.

Pliney clone 14 oz there abouts.

Started in the mash tun and ended with about 6oz of dry hops. None of the hops were wimpy either all about 12% AA or higher. The wort tasted like sipping an acid solution, with a nice sugar balance. Drinking it took a while to adjust to, not having that much hops in an IPA took a while to adjust back to.

I've got a better question. Has anyone ever brewed a hoppy style beer(eg: IPA) and thought that they had put too many hops in? And if so, how much did you add?

I'm curious now.

I made a recipe called "8oz IPA" with (you guessed it), 8oz of Cascade. It wasn't enough, so I dry hopped with 2 more ounces. Still not enough.

Now I have a SMaSH IPA going with german Pale and Chinook hops. It has 8oz of Chinook (much higher AA%) including dry hops. Still, 8oz has been my ceiling.

I jumped on the bandwagon and did a 120 minute IPA and hopped the buhjesus out of it with 9 oz in the boil, and I did 5 oz as a dry hop for 1 month. I am trying to find the maximum threshold for hop flavor, character, and bitterness but obviously it will need to mellow out quite a bit. I calculated roughly 135 IBU's for the hops that I used. I know that anything over 100 IBU's is basically undetectable, but right now I am hoping it will mellow down to something that is just bold and not lethally bitter... You sound like a hop aficinado, what would you say is the expected wait time on it turning into something more palatable?

6 oz for an IPA...I have an APA that is fermenting right now that had 4 oz in the boil and another 2 for secondary tomorrow.

I made a Simcoe IPA with 8oz of simcoe it was amazing. Also made a different IPA with around 10oz of horizon/cascade. It is terrible, HOP TEA. I am aging it all summer and hopefully it will be drinkable come fall.

Thank you sir, that is very helpful. Basically it will probably taste pretty rough I guess. Just cross my fingers?

Boor said:
Thank you sir, that is very helpful. Basically it will probably taste pretty rough I guess. Just cross my fingers?

It really depends on when you added them.

It was once said that time is your friend.

I added the warrior for the beginning of the boil (2hours) I added Simcoe @ 1 hr. and then amarillo for the last 30 minutes. I wanted a bigger traditional hop flavor so I dry hopped for a month w/ 5 oz of cascade. That's 9 oz total in the boil (3 of each) and 5 dry... I am under the impression that the cascade pushed everything too far. I am just wondering when I can drink this $150 batch of beer?

Boor said:
I added the warrior for the beginning of the boil (2hours) I added Simcoe @ 1 hr. and then amarillo for the last 30 minutes. I wanted a bigger traditional hop flavor so I dry hopped for a month w/ 5 oz of cascade. That's 9 oz total in the boil (3 of each) and 5 dry... I am under the impression that the cascade pushed everything too far. I am just wondering when I can drink this $150 batch of beer?

Might be also from dry hopping for a month, on top of 5 oz of hops.

I just did an ipa where I was basing it off a recent batch, but didn't realize until the next day that it was a 10g batch that I was comparing to, while I was current only doing a 5g batch. ( I started that brew day with a recent 10% imperial ryepa and 8% porter :drunk: )

Ended up with 9 or 10 oz and 125 ibus at 1.070 and plan on another 3 oz for dry hops. I can't wait...I think its going to be great :D

I used 1 oz amarillo fwh, 1 oz simcoe @ 60 min then the rest from 20 min-flame out - cascade, amarillo and simcoe, and also finished with a little citra.

Boor said:

Holy crap!!!!!! 3 oz of warrior and simcoe for bittering is some serious bitter. The cascade will fade I think your problem is going to be getting that warrior to fade.

The half pound if simcoe IPA I made had the first hop addition at 30 minutes.

Are you able to swallow any of it?

The hop tea I referenced earlier I was unable to swallow till about 6 weeks. I haven't tried it for a month. But last time I tried I could swallow it but it was worse than eating pellet hops. I think with another few months I can think about kegging it.

Just did about 7 ounces for a 30min boil IPA...

4 ounces for the boil alone and then another 3 for dry hopping. 2 kinds of hops added for a 14 day dry hop and 2 kinds added for 7 days.

Just waiting for it to come out...

Here we are almost a year later and that 5 gallon batch has barely mellowed at all. I half wonder if how many people on these threads own home brewing supply stores. I would have to say that anything over 6 oz REGARDLESS of malts is almost to much.

Double check recipes before you waste your resources on them. I might be able to drink this crap in a year.

Latest posts

Back