Wanted: 60 amp pin/sleeve (Receptacle/plug)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky

Reaction score
Looking for lockable, 60amp plug/receptacle. AKA - pin/sleeve. Similar or equal to Hubbell HBL460RS1W (receptacle) and HGL460PS1W (plug).

I want a used or scrap one since these are super moolah, big $$. Maybe the usual electrical cast-of-characters (Walker, Code Rage, BrewBeemer, Ohio Ed, Kal, etc.) have one laying around the coffee table and want to get rid of them?

These are also used on hospital equipment and some welding equipment. Any source info. would be mucho appreciated. :mug:

Holy jeezus. You know you are serious when you are scouting hospital and welding equipments for parts. Air 5

I bet Brewbeemer has one, or one similar yet superiour...likely he needs it for another project though...::mug:

Ya, something suspicious is going on. The "usual suspects" are quiet. BrewBeemer is probably dimming the lights on his house in case I make a visit! ;)

Ya, something suspicious is going on. The "usual suspects" are quiet. BrewBeemer is probably dimming the lights on his house in case I make a visit! ;)

Aw come on guys I ain't that bad.
Sad news I only have one Killark 100 amp 3 wire 3 pin & sleeve 250 VDC / 600VAC plug & receptacle feeding my Miller 350 Tig no spares.
On lower amps down to one Crouse Hindes 3 wire 4 pin & sleeve 60 amp 250 VDC / 600 VAC plug & receptacle the same in 30 amp.
Had four more 60 amp pin & sleeve plug & recep sets I gave away two to friends sold the rest on ebay $100 a set.
Naval Western Fleet Refrigeration building was gutted in Alameda this at 1,100' long had 42 sets of 60 amp plugs & receptacles, again labors destroyed then for the scrap aluminum and brass.
Talking $250 to $325 value each plug or receptacle vs back into service like for us brewers or home emergency power backup with a TRANSFER SWITCH.
At least ten 225 & 500 KVA X-formers hacked up for copper by labors, they made on average $30 each. I carefully removed three 500 KVA after work, took the company flatbed and sold them to a electrical liquidator for a quick $1,000 in 2003.

@brewbeemer ... understand, but we're lucky enough to have Mendelson's in Dayton - i've seen dozens of these pin / sleeves ... and some of the biggest industrial surplus weighs in over 10,000#; 1,000,000 sqft of "junk"

Mendelson's - "The first place to look for every last thing"

Thanks BC, but I need 3P, 4W (2 hots, 1 neutral, and ground). That one is only 2 pin.

Oh well, off to stalk the salvage yards and talk to my distributors to see if they have any leads on where I can pick up some used ones.

Due to the economy and construction slowing down the past 6 years Ace Liquidator's a big supplier of new and used electrical equipment walked away from their fully loaded warehouse. A sad thing after 34 years in the business.
In Hayward Calif another new & used electrical supplier that purchased a lot of Ace Liquidator's inventory. I've never stopped in checking them out, I believe one of the Price brothers are owners.

Port of Oakland's container reefer section has the power hookups we want, sad part one of my maintenance electrician friends retired from the Port. Lost another freebie connection.
Check ebay you might get lucky.

@brewbeemer ... understand, but we're lucky enough to have Mendelson's in Dayton - i've seen dozens of these pin / sleeves ... and some of the biggest industrial surplus weighs in over 10,000#; 1,000,000 sqft of "junk"

Mendelson's - "The first place to look for every last thing"

Good to know vs buying items in Mexifornia getting nailed with sales tax. Does Dayton sell out of state without adding sales tax? Some states add tax shipping I can deal with.

BB, I think you are talking about D&F in Hayward. I talked with them and need to go over to see what they have, but the guy said he doubted if they had any used ones. However, they do have excess stock of XHHW-2 which I need for my CalTran's projects.:)

Mendelson's only has new ones, like Grainger and the rest.

Ideally, I would like to get around $100 for the plug/receptacle. Been checking this out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130501107804&ssPageName=STRK:MEBOFFX:IT

I would remove the extension piece.

CalTrans specs required us to use THW vs THHN how stupid is that besides the increased wire fill and harder to pull on the Webster Posey tunnel retrofit?
It might be Frank Price the Hayward liquidator, been told they have a large inventory. XHHW what are they thinking, possible solar flare up striking earth or that hot in the solar panels?

XHHW what are they thinking, possible solar flare up striking earth or that hot in the solar panels?

I know, completely over the top. The Sacramento engineer wants the 90C. Ya, also everything is rigid with 50% fill, max. Here's the gang at the San Mateo/Hayward Toll Plaza:
IMG_1602.jpg

I know, completely over the top. The Sacramento engineer wants the 90C. Ya, also everything is rigid with 50% fill, max. Here's the gang at the San Mateo/Hayward Toll Plaza:
View attachment 23554

I bet your dealing with foreign engineers also.
On your photo upper right you see a bright light from S.F., farther to the right a dark green area stops an inch from the right border. That green strip is the island.

View attachment 23554

On your photo upper right you see a bright light from S.F., farther to the right a dark green area stops an inch from the right border. That green strip is the island.
I wouldn't want to be on the roof today it's windy and cold as hell.
Cool looking job I bet it was a fun one also.
Off to the back quack, later.

Okay, things worked out. I got the 60 amp pin/sleeve for $115. Now, time to get that 60amp cord.....

I wouldn't want to be on the roof today it's windy and cold as hell.

Yes on the engineer. Every day is an NEC/CalTran code discussion of endless drivel!
The gang is working inside today. They were on the Carquinez Toll Plaza yesterday and at the end of the day, they said it was getting chilly.

Are you talking about the Alameda - the sand area? Nice, hidden gem up there. Did a couple projects in Alameda, it is like a hidden oasis.

I realize you already got the connectors.. but I was wondering why you wanted pin and sleeve over a 4-prong nema 14-60 style?
I used that in my homebrewery.. it was difficult to find but was much much cheaper than pin and sleeve.

I realize you already got the connectors.. but I was wondering why you wanted pin and sleeve over a 4-prong nema 14-60 style?
I used that in my homebrewery.. it was difficult to find but was much much cheaper than pin and sleeve.

Pin & sleeve were freebies I couldn't find any nema 14-60 that cheap.

Back