Tops Tips for Newbies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmybeer

Reaction score
Come on everyone, we've all been there. I'm compiling a list of things that often get overlooked for new extract brewers and I'm going to toss them on a website for a stupid technology class I need to take right now. I'm not looking to really cover the boiling process itself because I think that should be self explanatory in the direction in most kits but rather the other important things. However, if you feel there is something critical to the boil that gets messed up often toss it out there. So far I have:

General yeast care: Includes pitching rates, temp control and leaving it do it's thing for three weeks.
The importance of a hydrometer
The fact that secondary fermentation is not always necessary.
Cleaning then sanitize, sanitize, sanitize everything!
Aerating your wort
Correctly measuring stuff

SWMBO appeasement.
Chilling the wort to pitch temperatures.
Be careful when cooking on the porch, in the summer, at night with the light on. Moths and JuneBugs don't ferment very well and leave funny aftertastes.

Here's a tip....We already have any tips thread.

Stone Cold Lead Pipe Lock'd N00b Advice

Actually we probably have at least 20 "top tip threads, but most of them die because we have an uber tips thread already here...."

But I want this one to be mine....
Seriously though, that is funny because I was just writing something about doing your research which I clearly didn't do; I just asked for the answers. Anyways, thanks for the post.

Latest posts

Back